3 small contributions to the community

Hello all,
I’d like to announce 3 xojo-related repos going public on GitHub:

1. NiceLogin
A sample login page template for Xojo Web

2. SQLiteExplorer
A simple SQLite database explorer aimed at debugging projects that make use of them.

3. pgNotifyDebug
A utility to explore, test and debug Postgresql’s asynchronous message queue mechanism.
(Has anyone implemented anything on this message queue? I’d be interested to hear your experience!)

Hope you find them useful in some way!

Nice work Georgios!

Nice.

Nota: the About, OpenDialog strings are using greek police (File and About are in English and so are many other things).

The MacOS Icon is nice (nothing special, but I love it, it changes from the usual circle (oval ?) greyscale icon; I love white and this blue ) cyan colors).

I do not need it, I already have one with a different set (no password, other specific to my projects) of features (clear TABLEs / add TABLEs, VACUUM, etc.). I created it at first to be sure of what I wrote into my sqlite file, then I expanded it to other needs, my specific needs (locked to my sqlite db file names to avoid errors).

@Georgios Poulopoulos — I like the idea of “SQLite Explorer” but I would say that:

1. It is not good enough as of now to attract developers to work on that project (IMHO)
  2. The “The SQLiteExplorer project by George Poulopoulos” on the main window is probably not a good message for a collective project
  3. The whole table is constrained to the current window, even if it makes it completely unreadable. You should use the “Horizontal Scroll” to make it easier to read

i agree with this… i open a table with 100 fields and i see nothing at all since each column is to tiny

[quote=434073:@Georgios Poulopoulos]3. pgNotifyDebug
A utility to explore, test and debug Postgresql’s asynchronous message queue mechanism.
(Has anyone implemented anything on this message queue? I’d be interested to hear your experience!)[/quote]

cannot tested this since it ask for postgressSQL thingy

Thanks!

Thanks!
I have no idea how the greek police is involved in the app! :slight_smile:
The icon is from Softicons I think

1. of course: I don’t really expect anyone to take the time to contribute: It’s just a quick&dirty tool I made because I am dealing a lot with encrypted sqlite files and I could not find another app to open them!
    It was developed within the context of a bigger project, postdoc. Now that postdoc is officially dead, I’m cutting it into smaller self-standing pieces that will be more visible and perhaps useful to someone else.

2. You have a point there. Having that label might seem as bad etiquette for an open source project, but as I said, I really did not expect anyone to chip in: Just to use it solve the problem I solved and perhaps tweak it to their own needs.
    I won’t be making any further contributions to it, but I do remain the maintainer and as such, license-wise, anyone who might want to fork the project is obliged to mention it somehow.
    But that’s really too much fuss over such a tiny thing. I’ll keep your insight in mind for future projects, thanks!

3. Yes, but that would take extra time to solve a problem that I personally never had. As I said, quick&dirty…

100 fields! not very long ago, the listbox itself could not support than many columns :slight_smile:
Also, on pgNotifyDebug: it’s used to explore a very special feature that postgres implements: an asynchronous queue.
I used it in postdoc for inter-process communications and it’s one of the parts I plan to break off and repackage on its own (heavily modified it seems…)

What’s the “postgreSQL thingy” btw?

And speaking of cannibalizing postdoc…
There’s something bigger coming up: an object storage mechanism called Limnie.
It already has a repo, you can take a look, but it’s not quite usable yet. I’ll finish up some stuff and make an announcement. Maybe in the weekend…
If you ever felt the need for an object store in your applications (as I did, being in the document management business), you’re gonna love this :slight_smile:

SQLiteManager by SQLabs can.

What is the system Police in your OS ?
Mine is “French”. (that is the used OS Language).

More seriousy: I already saw - sometimes - German words/sentences in Xojo generated applications.

When loaded the project, I get the us-en name for these “about” located MenuItems.

[quote=434638:@Georgios Poulopoulos]100 fields! not very long ago, the listbox itself could not support than many columns :slight_smile:
Also, on pgNotifyDebug: it’s used to explore a very special feature that postgres implements: an asynchronous queue.
I used it in postdoc for inter-process communications and it’s one of the parts I plan to break off and repackage on its own (heavily modified it seems…)[/quote]

what i am trying to say is sqlitemanager space out the column and has a scrollbar to move the right if you have a lot more fields.

error say db on mainwindow implements the event ‘ReceivedNotification’ but the superclass PostgreSQLDatabase has already implement the event

@Georgios Poulopoulos Thank you for your efforts and offering these free to the ecosystem. I admire your bravery!

In my opinion “the rest of you” if you want to criticize then the code is available, help fix it!

Thanks for the hint!
SQLiteManager looks like a great product from people who seem committed to it and know very well what they’re doing, but I solved my problem without having to resort to commercial software!
I needed nothing fancy or feature-rich, just to be able to open encrypted DBs created by a Xojo application and take a peek inside to see if everything’s alright. That’s how SQLiteExplorer should be viewed as: It’s a simple debugging tool, not a production workbench.

after some times of practice you can achieve something like this :
yes it’s self rewarding to be able to build the exact tool you want and need.

Thank you for your appreciation!

I’ll say one final thing, because I think I’ve talked too much over my -rather trivial- work: My source of inspiration is really Tim Dietrich’s Aloe Express.
Tim’s releasing, updating and supporting this immensely powerful tool -for free- and at the same time letting everyone look and learn how simple such piece of software can be. This is an example worth following! :slight_smile: