2D Arrays

I’m searching the Plugin SDK for information on passing 2D arrays but don’t seem to find anything.
Questions:

1. Is it possible to pass a 2D double array to a plugin?
  2. Is it possible to return a 2D array from a plugin?

TIA Hanspeter

You can not, as the docs say http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/Plugin_SDK_Array_Reference:

[quote]REALCreateArray
Creates a single-dimensional array based on the given type and bounds. Note that you cannot create multi-dimensional arrays from a plugin.[/quote]

Well, I’m not aware of a documented way.
Still it may be able to read just from the internal structure the dimension or data pointer information.

This is absolutely not the way to go. You’ve been warned before reverse engineering the runtime, do not go advising others to do so.

Reverse engineering the runtime is not a good idea for a lot of reasons. It violates the EULA for one (which might lead to license revocation) and two, even if you did figure out it’s a pure hack which could change in any future release. You’d either leave your users stuck with crashes or force Xojo to add compatibility for your hack (which may impede future improvements).

[quote=62724:@Hanspeter Bleuler]I’m searching the Plugin SDK for information on passing 2D arrays but don’t seem to find anything.
Questions:

Is it possible to pass a 2D double array to a plugin?
Is it possible to return a 2D array from a plugin?[/quote]

No, the plugins SDK has nothing for dealing with arrays that aren’t one dimensional. If you’d like to see such functionality added, you should file a feature request.

I filled case 32034 for this.

Similar to the string approach, I’d like to see an API for arrays.

Thanks Christian,

Your Feedback case describes exactly what I need.