2019 R2.1 major issues

I’m having more issues going to 2019 R2.1 from 2019 R2.0 than I did moving to API 2.0

I’ve only just started learning Xojo so am new to everything, I’m finding that Xojo release new versions but don’t always update their documentation so the examples don’t work.

I have some code which is practically identical to their examples that is just not working in 2019 R2.1

The code snippets below work in 2019 R2 but break in 2.1

Var row As New DatabaseRow row.Column("Title") = windowPrimary.comboClientTitle.Value

This gives an error windowPrimary.btnSave.Action, line 3
This method cannot accept an assigned value (it lacks an Assigns parameter).

rownote.IntegerColumn ("fkClientID")= clientid

This gives an error windowPrimary.btnSave.Action, line 17
Type “DatabaseRow” has no member named “IntegerColumn”

And indeed, if I type rownote. and hit tab to bring up a list of members then I get :-

Column, ColumnAt and Constructor as options to select

In 2019 R2 I got

BlobColumn, BooleanColumn, Column, CurrencyColumn, DateColumn, DateTimeColumn, DoubleColumn, INT64Column, IntegerColumn, PictureColumn

Am I being thick?

documentation.xojo.com/resources/release_notes/2019r2.1.html

DatabaseColumn
its a little bit different now. because you get a object you need .value or other properties.

Shouldn’t your row column assignment statement be

row.Column("Title").StringValue = windowPrimary.comboClientTitle.Value

I’ve tried it on my end at it works with .StringValue

Toolbar Action Event now use “Item as Toolitem” again, like it was before 2019.R2. Not god for all that have changed their projects for release 2019 R2

Yep, my toolbar code broke too…

you DO use some kind of version control … riiiigghhhht ???

Yes, as per one of my first posts on this forum.

However, I’ve only started to program/learn Xojo in the last couple of months and so 99% of code I have is using API 2.0

[quote=463987:@Tim Leeland]Shouldn’t your row column assignment statement be

row.Column("Title").StringValue = windowPrimary.comboClientTitle.Value

I’ve tried it on my end at it works with .StringValue[/quote]

Thank you Tim, yes, that’s working, now to change all the code I had that worked in R2 to what you’ve show here. Sigh.

sorry to hear that
API 2 was super problematic for anyone that had a long term investment in Xojo from anything preceding 2019r2

[quote=464006:@Norman Palardy]sorry to hear that
API 2 was super problematic for anyone that had a long term investment in Xojo from anything preceding 2019r2[/quote]

So I understand. Still frustrating to have code working one day to not working the next.

I know
I was the other way
Open code that existed and worked fine for many years in 2019r2 and suddenly had 20K+ deprecation warnings and 300+ outright compile errors :frowning:
I was far from alone

Because there are too many errors (not working plugins, application crashes), it is better to work with R2 and wait until R2.2 and hope we get more time to test the beta releases. Only one day was a little bit too short.

Remark:
Xojo is a very good tool and the team is working hard to make it better and better. Thank you to all of the Xojo team. I’m very contentedly with this product (it was REALBasic 1.x) since late 2003.

1 day ?
2.1 had a lot more than 1 day in beta
2.1 beta 2 was posted Oct 24

The last beta to the release date.

do you mean FC ?
the last beta was beta 17 posted 5 days ago