2017 R2.1 Flickering

I use ScreenFlow.

so from now on you are going to use native Windows on a real machine when you develop the IDE ? :slight_smile:

[quote=350614:@Norman Palardy]Comedy
[/quote]
Am I taken seriously ?
Do us a favor Norman. Put your mac in a locker and develop just one week on a Windows machine. Take a fast Win10 fully utilized if you like, no matter. But after one week of annoyance you will forever understand the feeling windows developers have with Xojo at the moment. And no, don’t blame windows at this case, it’s being used by 94% of the population we call our customers.

Are you perhaps switching between user accounts?
Somehow, I always have the flickering when testing Apps on a second/different user.
Never tried it with the IDE itself but all my Apps flicker on macOS when I create a different user so I can emulate a fresh install.

Thank you very much Norman Palardy for laughing in our face! I have to tell you, that is the best reaction you could have given to Windows people who suffer from those flickering for years. I am just astonishing, I cant even believe it.

According to you is the flickering on Windows just a “comedy”. Well Norman Palardy I give here a list of applications used with this laptop who do not flicker on Windows and those who do :

Do NOT flicker :
RagTime
Affinity Designer
Affinity Photo
Visual Lansa
Construct 2 / Construct 3
icoFX
Cyberlink PowerDirector
ProShow Producer
IconWorkshop
Atlantis WordProcessor
Kotobee Author
Draftit
KiCad
Sublime Text editor

Applications who DO flicker :
Xojo

From all the applications I use or used Xojo is the only one who produce flickering.

Why is there no flickering with the other applications on the same operating system Windows and the only one who is flickering is Xojo? For none of them there is double buffering.

A serious developer does not ignore such a serious problem as flickering, which can be seen years now Like I have said in other threads, there is no love for Windows, there never was from the side of Xojo.

Your reaction is very good public relations Norman Palardy. Really, prospecting customers will now exactly know how Xojo inc. think about the serious flickering problem on Windows, which now even start to appear on Mac.

Do you know what… I am not gonna renew my licence until the flickering in Xojo is solved. In its present state, it is not worth the $299.

I rest my case.

It’s not that visible on my iMac but my macbook it’s become very flickering. Kinda odd since it’s mac.

I’m going to attach the screenplay to the FB case if i’m behind the macbook

Indeed. This is not funny anymore. This is a case where you absolutely HAVE to test on hardware. It has been some time since I travelled this forum, but it is staggering this bug is still around after all these years.

Normans public dislike for Windows (and Android for that matter) is legendary on this forum. However, it does not suit a crossplatform developer. It is easy to blame the one up on the chain (windows or linux in Xojos case), just like we blame Xojo for the flickering in our apps. The big difference is the bug starts in the chain with Xojo, not with windows. Looks like all programming languages have cracked this one from the start so developers can create the consumers products they want, except Xojo,

We haven’t for years for this very reason. 80% of our RB/Xojo products are even still using RB2007 (which I personally consider ‘The Last Good One’ on Windows).

This is one of those times I miss Aaron Ballman…

Common, we all know this isn’t what Norman tried to say…

Right now we all know and agree that is something that must be fixed and that’s related only to Xojo.
Xojo is written using Xojo so right now is your turn Xojo to prove us that your product can be intended as true cross-platform development environment.

I’m not using a Mac, I’m working only on Windows and I’m tired to use an IDE that on the latest and greatest hardware behave like a toy.

Can we please stay on topic;
Does this happen to anyone else on a Mac(Book) or is it just my system?

Is the 2017 R2.1 worse or same to any other system?

Not windows related as i know how windows is.

And with Layer-backed views it’s now triple buffered!

[quote=350675:@Derk Jochems]Can we please stay on topic;

Not windows related as i know how windows is.[/quote]
Am using 2017r2.1 on a 2012 MacBook Pro running El Cap and I see no flickering, also on a 2015 MacBook running High Sierra (however the little MacBook is only used for testing social media and small code tests).

I wonder if you have some kind of graphics driver failure (which is more common on Mac than you think).

[quote=350675:@Derk Jochems]Can we please stay on topic;

Not windows related as i know how windows is.[/quote]
Maybe you should specify your system more? 2011 MacBook Pro have known graphic problems.

Also does it only affect Xojo apps or all apps? If only Xojo then you can exclude your system.

Does it only affect specific Xojo versions? Then that is a version specific problem and has nothing to do with your system.

Have you completely removed and reinstalled Xojo?

Are you using plugins? Which ones.

Basically you give (as most people do) far too little information to do any meaningful troubleshooting.

[quote=350678:@Markus Winter]Maybe you should specify your system more? 2011 MacBook Pro have known graphic problems.

Also does it only affect Xojo apps or all apps? If only Xojo then you can exclude your system.

Does it only affect specific Xojo versions? Then that is a version specific problem and has nothing to do with your system.

Have you completely removed and reinstalled Xojo?

Are you using plugins? Which ones.

Basically you give (as most people do) far too little information to do any meaningful troubleshooting.[/quote]

Only the Xojo IDE, no problem with builds.
Macbook Air Early 2014. MacOS sierra 10.12.6
No plugins, again it’s the IDE itself.

Topic is not about Builds. So please…

Well, I’m running it here on a 2007 iMac 24in with 2.8 GHz Core2Duo CPU and 4 GB of RAM. Loaded CustomEditField which has a fair amount of controls on its screen. IDE scrolls smoothly without flicker, even while playing a movie on the side.

So the question remains. Have you removed Xojo completely and reinstalled?

P.S. I see in another thread that you also have problems with not seeing the templates. So everything points to a dodgy installation.

First thing to do when weird things happen is to restart the computer (restarting Xojo is not enough).

If that doesn’t fix it then reinstall Xojo.

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011)
Xojo 2017R2.1

No flickering in IDE nor in MacOS builds of my apps.

Sounds like the IDE and not the framework (otherwise your builds would be doing the same thing)…

Funny thing;
When i record with Quicktime the problem seems to be gone while recording …

So i made a video with my iPhone instead, cause normally i don’t work while having quicktime capturing my screen.

[quote=350681:@Derk Jochems]Only the Xojo IDE, no problem with builds.
Macbook Air late 2014. [/quote]

Btw: There is no MacBook Air Late 2014.