2017 27" iMac and External Monitors

Anyone have a similar configuration?

Right now I have a 2013 27" iMach that I am planning on replacing with a new 2017 5K 27" iMac…
my current iMac has two 19" Dell monitors attached via DVI-MiniDisplay port adapters…
But those plug into the ThunderBolt-2 connectors… then 2017 iMac has Thunderbolt-3 which
is not compatible… and I cannot seem to find an in-expensive adapter that should work

I can barely afford to replace the computer, and there is no way I can add two NEW monitors…

Following this thread because I found myself in a similar situation when I looked into buying a new MacBook Pro.

I don’t have a similar configuration, but upon seeing your question I did check my favorite low-cost cable and adapter supplier, Monoprice, and found this for under $20 each. Using two of them would tie up both of the USB-C on the iMac though. So if you wanted anything else over USB-C, it would have to take the place of one of these adapters plus also provide a TB3 pass-through so you could still attach the second monitor. Or use a USB-C hub.

It also looks like DVI connections are limited to 1920x1080p @60Hz, although it can handle HDMI up to 3840x2160p albeit at 30Hz.

You didn’t say what resolution you use on your 19" monitors, so I don’t know if this is within the specs of what you need. But considering the cost of a new 5K iMac, here’s hoping these would provide a $40 solution for you. I have no experience with this adapter, but its single review is 5 stars. I do use this website for pretty much all my cable needs though, as they tend to be MUCH cheaper than everywhere else and I have never had a problem with one yet.

Both are Dell 1905FP, which are 1280x1024

Looking over the website more, I also found these as well (perhaps better options for Roger):

$20 with USB-C charging port (to still provide incoming power for a laptop)

$30 with USB-C charging port and USB 3.0 port

Then from what I can tell these should work for you, if $40 is within budget. I guess you’d also need DVI-DVI cables to go between these adapters and the monitors. But Monoprice has various lengths of those too if you don’t have two laying around.

Dave,

I don’t (think I) need a copy of Tadpole, as I haven’t run into any serious limitations among the various programs I already license. But maybe I don’t know what I’m missing. :slight_smile: And at any rate, I definitely support your contributions to this community, so I just ordered a license. Use the funds to go buy yourself a couple of adapters…

[quote=345367:@Douglas Handy]Right now I have a 2013 27" iMach that I am planning on replacing with a new 2017 5K 27" iMac…
my current iMac has two 19" Dell monitors attached via DVI-MiniDisplay port adapters…
But those plug into the ThunderBolt-2 connectors… then 2017 iMac has Thunderbolt-3 which
is not compatible… and I cannot seem to find an in-expensive adapter that should work[/quote]
The cables are already on the Monitors, as that is what is plugged into the current DVI-MiniDisplay Adapter on the current iMac

I wasn’t sure if that was the case, or if they were mini-DP to DVI cables. You had used the word “adapter”, but I could also see somebody using that word for a single cable which adapts mini-DP to something else. (When I travel, I carry a mini-DP to HDMI cable to putting in a hotel room TV, and in the office I use mini-DP to full size DP on my external monitors. All from Monoprice.)

I think the linked products would let you achieve the desired result relatively inexpensively.

I appreciate the information, and I was all set to purchase two of these, however I had a few questions for the vendor, but I guess answering emails from potential customers isn’t high on their priority list, as the initial and 2 follow up emails have gone unanswered. So, unfortunatly I chose an alternative vendor, one who actually responded within an hour, and their price was in-line with Monoprice. Again thanks for the information.

Fot those interested… Cable Matters sells a USB-C/T3 to DVI adapter that works great with the new iMac… I just installed TWO of them and now have all 3 monitors online again…

part#201019

You mean USB-C to DVI ?

yeah… thats what I meant :slight_smile:

FYI… Monoprice took TEN DAYS to respond to my email (as in today)… oh, and the Cable Matters adapters arrived… uh …today