2016r3 filetype broken?

I just started working with 2016r3 tonight and found a glitch.

I have custom filetype, called AML, basically just a text file with AML for the extension. I defined it in the filetype editor. But when I try to open the file in my program, its not available in the open file dialog. This worked in 2016r2 but does not in 2016r3.

Did something change in 2016r3 that I missed? Thanks!

Phil

The Release Notes are here . Only File Type entry is:

43834 IDE » FileTypes Editor File Type editor has collapse all / expand all button.

@Emile: sometimes I don’t get you, really. What does the collapse/expand button have to do with the problem from Phillip?

@Phillip: I’m not in front of my computer so I can’t check. Do you use Mac or Windows? If on the Mac side: did you set your UTIs correctly? There is another part of the File Type Editor that is a bit hidden and I always forget where it is. Build settings??? Check if the roles are set up correctly.

There is an issue in 2016r3 with custom filetypes that were working as expected in 2016r2.1. I need to do some further investigation but it seems to be in both Mac and Windows.

Custom File Type.

[quote=287898:@Phillip Smith]I just started working with 2016r3 tonight and found a glitch.

I have custom filetype, called AML, basically just a text file with AML for the extension. I defined it in the filetype editor. But when I try to open the file in my program, its not available in the open file dialog. This worked in 2016r2 but does not in 2016r3.

Did something change in 2016r3 that I missed? Thanks!

Phil[/quote]
Filetypes did get some tlc this time, but only to fix some long standing UTI bugs. If you’ll put your filetype into a sample project that shows the problem and either post it or file a bug report, a second set of eyes might help straighten this out.

Try this FileTypes fix.
https://forum.xojo.com/35068-any-tutorial-for-filetypes-editor/p1#p286240

Thanks Tim, defining the file type in the same method as the open dialog did the trick. Definitely some weirdness going on with file types though in 2016r3.

Phil

Make sure you read my comments on that thread too.
We use them throughout the IDE and NEVER - literally NEVER - define them in the method where we use a dialog etc.
That would be a mess as we have hundreds of possible places and maintaining having a lot of duplicate code like this would be painful.

Yes, good point, Norman. I tried your approach of just getting the extension of the file type and that worked, too. This app only has one filetype used in its open and save methods so either one would work. But it definitely would be a nightmare to maintain that in a large program.

I can confirm this bug, as a result I’ve had to revert back to using 2016 r1.1.

I filed a Feedback report with a very simple example, it’s #45392

[quote=289739:@John McKernon]I can confirm this bug, as a result I’ve had to revert back to using 2016 r1.1.

I filed a Feedback report with a very simple example, it’s #45392[/quote]
Did you try this FileTypes fix?
https://forum.xojo.com/35068-any-tutorial-for-filetypes-editor/p1#p286240

No, I was assuming that Xojo would fix what’s broken. If it works in 2016 r1.1 (and all previous releases of Xojo and RB), then IMHO it’s broken and needs fixing. I have a LOT of custom file types in my app, and although I can certainly change the code, it’s a lot to recode.

is there a feedback case open? if so, what is the number. I want to join it.

Feedback 45392

I added myself to it. it is not up to 172nd in rankings.

I dont do a lot with filetypes/sets but I have several apps that do use them some.

I also added some points to John’s case. Up to 139th.

You’ll have to tell that to Norman. He’s posted IDE code snippets and says we’re doing it wrong (seen here)

Edit:
With the demo project from the feedback case the only time I can get it to behave as it should is when I define the filetype in-method.
If I use the Extensions or define the filter string myself, all files are selectable. If I use the global FileTypes1 object as the filter, nothing is selectable.

What if you use FileTypes1.all?

No, it still doesn’t work.

What was working up to and including 2016r2.1 is no longer working in 2016r3.