2016r1 Lost project

I have move my code to new method,and delete the old method(empty method),then i save my project and open it again…
I found from 5 windows only 1,none of the method’s,classes and properties,just empty project only…
I lost 1 month job :frowning:

No problem, just go to you backup copy… You DO have a back up copy … don’t you?
If you don’t, you might find sympathy a bit scarce… not saying XOJO R2016 didn’t contribute to the missing code, but…

[quote=258459:@Dave S]No problem, just go to you backup copy… You DO have a back up copy … don’t you?
If you don’t, you might find sympathy a bit scarce… not saying XOJO R2016 didn’t contribute to the missing code, but…[/quote]
I don’t…
I don’t blame anyone,but this version 2016 from what i see in the forum and from my lost project after saving have bugs…
Anyone have a link from previous version maybe?

You can find previous versions that you have a license for in the Downloads Archive

FWIW I haven’t seen any reports of entire methods or windows gone missing with saving based on IDE version, it’s always been permission issues.

Working on a cloud drive ?

[quote=258462:@Tim Parnell]You can find previous versions that you have a license for in the Downloads Archive

FWIW I haven’t seen any reports of entire methods or windows gone missing with saving based on IDE version, it’s always been permission issues.[/quote]
Thank you Tim,but i don’t have license,so my archive is empty.
No permission problems here,i have open and save 3-4 more projects for testing and working ok.

No @Michel Bujardet local ssd disk,no external disk’s or network drives,etc…

On a mac? Have Time Machine? Other backups?

Yes on Mac @Kimball Larsen
I buy it before 3 days
Mac pro 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3GB GDDR5 VRAM
32GB 1866Mhz DDR3 ECC
512GB PCIe -based Flash hdd
No and this is the sad,i waiting for my backup disk tomorrow to take it back…
Well,now i need to remake all the project from beginning,at last i have keep some method’s to Dash…

Sorry, but Coding a Month w/o a Backup? Really?

i know my bad,but i don’t expect to lost the project after SAVE,is a bit strange…

I feel sorry for you, really. But again, 1 Month w/o a Backup. A no go in any case.

As soon as you write ANYTHING you should expect to lose it. Code, word processing docs, email, graphics, anything. As soon as you create it, you need to have systems in place to make sure you can’t lose it (or at least make it very unlikely you would).

I know I’m preaching to the choir, and I’m sad you lost all that work… but maybe this is a good learning opportunity for you?

There are lots of free and instant ways to make sure you don’t lose things while waiting for a disk to arrive in the mail. Dropbox comes to mind.

Sorry, man.

I agree with you guys about the backup,always i take backup most 2 times per day,but i think i will blame my girlfriend because she have my backup disk over 3 weeks now :slight_smile:
Now i have learn the meaning of word backup…

Besides backups, version control is usually helpful in these situations. It won’t overcome a failed hard drive, but it will certainly ease the pain of a corrupt project.

I had a project today I was working on with 2016R1. Made some changes and BAM!!! the project won’t run. I tried everything to get the project to run, but no luck. I think the issue was caused by copying/pasting a BevelButton, not sure though. I finally reverted back to my last commit and everything worked just fine. Version control ( Fossil ) saved me a lot of frustration and since I commit often, I had very little to redo.

To counter RS/Xojo errors, Windows funnies, but mainly my own stupidity, I am longtime in the habit of starting a project as Myproject_01 or whatever name, then incrementing the 01 after doing any significant changes and saving before compiling. Only one has ever got to 99. :wink:

I don’t expect to be in a car accident… but I still buy insurance :slight_smile:

+1 The disaster will come the moment you do not expect…

We learn from our mistakes. Back in 1982 I was writing a book on my brand new Apple //e ,and a floppy disk got corrupted. I lost an entire chapter. Was not fun rewriting it, especially since I had also neglected to print.

It really taught me enlightened paranoia :wink: