2016 r1 plugin problems

The message I get is “Can’t find a type with this name”. This is multiple plugins. MBS and Einhugur and even the Xojo included MySQL community server. All latest updated versions. I’ve tried deleting prefs and compiled plugins to no avail. I’ve removed plugins to cut down on the number but all of these worked in r4.

The errors occur both in the debugger and while trying to build.

Can’t find a type with this name
Dim c as new CDXYChartMBS(chartW, chartH)

Also happens with property declarations

Can’t find a type with this name
MySQLDB As MySQLCommunityServer

Any ideas what is going on?

Hi @Tom Dixon did you search the Forum before your Post? :wink:

https://forum.xojo.com/29259-baffled-by-can-t-find-a-type-with-this-name

Not for those exact words. I did search for 2016 r 1 issues. I have never seen this before in any 2015 version. I just now removed all plugins except exactly what I must have for this project and it compiles/builds just fine. I’m not sure now if it is a bad plugin causing the issue or just too many. I’m now going to have to add them back in one a t a time. I really wish Xojo had a plugin manager to add/remove or activate/deactivate plugins.

you can clear cache and look into DebugView app.
It may show messages on Xojo launch telling you which plugin loaded or failed to load.

Even though my web app compiled it would crash doing a MySQL query. So I have now uninstalled every version of Xojo on my PC, rebooted and only installed 2016 r1. Added in the plugins I need, ran the app in the debugger and it still crashes.

I’m tempted to just uninstall 2016 r1 and just reinstall 2015 r4 which worked just fine.

I have now uninstalled 2016 r1 and reinstalled 2015 r4, (not 4.1) All plugins load. App complies and does not crash when run in the debugger or from a build. I’ll wait until 2016 r2 comes out and see if it behaves any better. For now I need to get some work done and my current projects will be fine developed in 2015 r4.

I am sure 2016 R1.1 will fix most of those anoying new issues. Big changes came with 2016 R1 regarding Windows and most of us can use it just fine. Xojo will fix it for the rest of us asap. :slight_smile:

Maybe he is on Windows and affected by the Max DLL issue ?

I am on El Capitan, but what is the

[quote=259715:@Björn Eiríksson]the Max DLL issue[/quote]?

If there’s a max. on usable PlugIns, Xojo should raise a Warning if this max. is reached.

Windows may have a maximum of number of DLLs that can be loaded.

Very vague :wink:

Well, yeah, because it’s a Windows issue not a Xojo issue. If you install every MBS plugin and every Einhugur plugin and every other plugin you own in Xojo for Windows you will go over the DLL limit. That’s a fact because I’ve experienced it myself. I can’t tell you what that limit is, but I’ve reached it and took steps to reduce it.

The smart and reasonable thing to do is pare your plugins down to what you actually use. This will improve Xojo startup and compile times. The code editor will probably be a little faster too since Auto Complete doesn’t need to cycle through a mountain of items.

[quote=259744:@Bob Keeney]Well, yeah, because it’s a Windows issue not a Xojo issue. If you install every MBS plugin and every Einhugur plugin and every other plugin you own in Xojo for Windows you will go over the DLL limit. That’s a fact because I’ve experienced it myself. I can’t tell you what that limit is, but I’ve reached it and took steps to reduce it.

The smart and reasonable thing to do is pare your plugins down to what you actually use. This will improve Xojo startup and compile times. The code editor will probably be a little faster too since Auto Complete doesn’t need to cycle through a mountain of items.[/quote]

I used MBS, Einhugur and many other Plugins already in my long gone Windows times and can’t remember such a situation. On the other hand, there must be such a limit somewhere or it would be a potential issue (even security wise).

I just want to say, i know Chrstian and you must be right, but i hope for the Windows Devs. that the Xojo IDE can throw an Info in such cases.

:slight_smile:

Well, we run for some users into the issue that after loading a few hundred DLLs some kind of table in Windows is full and no more DLLs load.

If I remember correctly something like 500 DLLs. So if you put in all MBS and all other plugins, you can hit that.

And it will not change until Xojo does the precompiling in a separate process for each plugin. That could also move it to the background and use several CPUs.

I first ran into it with Xojo. I used to run with all of the MBS and Einhugur plugins installed in Real Studio. When Xojo was introduced I simply moved them over and quickly discovered the issue in Windows. If memory serves, Christian reconfigured some of his plugins so the DLL’s were spread out a bit more. I don’t remember the details since that was too many brain cells ago.

Regardless, it makes good sense to only use the MBS plugins you actually use. Sadly, that sometimes can be a hard to manage if you have a lot of different projects like we do.

Some stuff at:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/3546c3c4-1b36-4552-85c5-1b3ba860ee84/how-many-dlls-can-be-loaded-in-a-process-using-loadlibrary-?forum=windowssdk

There’s a handful of limits
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724485(v=vs.85).aspx
In this case I understand that KERNEL HANDLES is the relevant limit and so depending on what a DLL does you can load more or less but when you run out of handles thats it - you cant load more
In that page you will see that LoadLibrary is one of the creators

I’m having the same problems with my plugins. The plugins themselves are being recognised, and I can autocomplete method and properties from those plugins, but the compiler is not recognising them and throwing up multiple “Can’t find a type with this name” errors.

I have no plugin issues with 2015r4.1 with exactly the same project and exactly the same plugin setup. So guess what…the problem is with 2016r1.

I can’t progress with my project until it’s fixed…although I could of course continue with 2015r4.1…but I’m not getting what I’ve paid for.

Win7 on Parallels on Mac Pro 2013 32GB

Cheers
Grant

Have you filed a bug report and attached a sample & these plugins ?

No.