2015R4.1 not starting up under 10.8.5?

upgrading from 2105R1 the application crashes on startup
Does anyone else have this?

Crash report?
Feedback case?

Turns out that Apple (again) reset the Security setting to “Mac App Store and identified developers only”
Once reset to “Anywhere” Xojo started without a problem.

In my opinion you should not set it to “Anywhere”.
Just allow single applications by right clicking and select “Open”, then allow that single app in the message box that appears.

[quote=254660:@Gerd Wilmer]Turns out that Apple (again) reset the Security setting to “Mac App Store and identified developers only”
Once reset to “Anywhere” Xojo started without a problem.[/quote]

Xojo is code signed. It should not have any issue with GateKeeper.

Sounds like the problem I experienced using 2015r3.

If you search for “Xojo 2015R3 doesn’t launch” in the forums you should find the conversation.

Kev.

Yes, Michael, I would have thought that Xojo is code signed, but this is what happened.
probably another of those undocumented features in Mac OS these days

Thanks, Kevin, for your comment. I did not think of searching R3, as my problem was R4.1

[quote=254666:@Albin Kiland]In my opinion you should not set it to “Anywhere”.
Just allow single applications by right clicking and select “Open”, then allow that single app in the message box that appears.[/quote]
this does not work anymore with apps that certificates are before 02-2016
you have to allow all developpers in gatekeeper to launch the app, then you can go back to macapp store and known devs the app still launches.
this happens since mid february as apple revoqued all certificates.

In the future you do not need to turn off security system wide. Right click the file, select “Open”, and confirm you want to launch it. The MAC OS X will remember your choice and the program will start normally.

this does not work, Michel.
you have to turn off security, then right clic on the app and choose “open” and confirm
then only you can turn on security and the app will launch again.
try to install an app that has a certificate before 02-2016 to check what I said.
I was facing the same problem recently and I had to turn security off to launch the app the first time.

Beg to differ. My settings have always been “Allow apps downloaded from: Mac App Store and identified developers”, I verified again they are just before posting, and I am able to run all unsigned apps as I described.

Of course, if an app is dragged into Applications, it is necessary to right click on the Applications folder to access the actual app. It won’t work with the regular pop-up interface that one gets with a regular click on Applications.

As a general rule, it is a good idea to keep security on, and if it must be disabled for just one app, to reinstate it right away. It also protects against unauthorized application patching, such as what could be done by a virus or a trojan. Anyway, when an app has been started once, Mac OS X will remember and not stop its launch again.

if the unsigned (or no more signed) app has been launched on the omputer before 02-2016, then it’s been allowed by gatekeeper and it’s still can be launched after 02-2016
this is for an app that has never been launched on the computer, and whose certificate expired in 02-2016 or is not signed.
then you must allow all app to launch it the first time.

[quote=254933:@Jean-Yves Pochez]if the unsigned (or no more signed) app has been launched on the omputer before 02-2016, then it’s been allowed by gatekeeper and it’s still can be launched after 02-2016
this is for an app that has never been launched on the computer, and whose certificate expired in 02-2016 or is not signed.
then you must allow all app to launch it the first time.[/quote]

Jean-Yves, as a beta tester I regularly launch new apps that are not signed in my present configuration with the method I described. At any rate, what you suggest works, but I recommend reinstating protection immediately.

Contrary to popular belief, viruses, trojans, worms and other nuisances exist on Mac.
https://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/10-years-of-mac-malware-how-os-x-threats-have-evolved/

This is from Intego, but I have followed the news from independent sources since the eighties, and I know from experience it is not a joke. Apple has not added this setting just to be cute. It is for users protection.

BTW, I wonder if it helps if you just remove the qurantine status from the entire Xojo app or even enclosing folder.

Use this in Terminal:

xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /path/to/folder

Hey, guys, that post by Sam Barclay is spam.
Account created specifically to post it.
No other posts.
Article about MacKeeper.

Edit: The whole website is fake blog posts that tell you to download MacKeeper.

Could one of the staff remove it, please?
@Dana Brown

@Sam Rowlands should remove the quoted URL as well, then.