2015r2.4 IDE broken?

Just updated my Mac to 10.10.5, and when running 2015r2.4, and copying code from one window to another, the TextInputCanvas used in the Xojo IDE seems to be broke? After pasting all characters become the wrong encoding or something?

Here is “Hello World! How are you today?” typed into the Xojo IDE.

The only solution is to completely terminate Xojo, reopen it, and if copy pasting code, paste it in the Mac TextEditor, copy it from the TextEditor, then paste it in the desired window. Anyone else seeing this?

Could you make a new console project, add a method, and paste some code into it? If that reproduces the project, could you file a bug and attach the project (and a readable version of the code you pasted in)?

Sure thing Joe.

Another thing. It signs in perfectly, but when I attempt to “Download” my license key to the IDE, it says I have “no current license keys.” (I do though). It’s a clean Mac install as the first update to Yosemite 10.10.5 broke Safari :-/

Importing worked fine though.

Try it in 2.3
Unless you’re running on linux
2.4 had one linux only fix

Sounds like you might be out of activations on your license if you moved or wiped the machine. You can login and remove activations on your account (by clicking the X to remove from a machine) here: Xojo: Xojo Licenses

I wasn’t out of activations, I deleted the previous instance of Mac from the registered machines list before installing Xojo.

@Norman Palardy - I wiped the license and attempted 2.3 and it did the same. Importing worked perfectly though, so perhaps the bug has been long standing just never noticed as each new update doesn’t require the license to be re-entered; only from a fresh installation with no prior licenses installed on the system.

As for the other bug, I found that if I use key-combos to paste, is when it happens from one IDE to the other. But when using the contextual menu Paste option, no intermediary TextEdit app is needed to prevent the gibberish. Almost ready to post the feedback with demo app and original source.

I have more trouble with the Feedback system I swear. Windows doesn’t permit private feedbacks, and Mac OS’s won’t work at all. It opens, but you can’t select the case type, product, or Xojo Version, so it won’t permit a submittal. I’d submit on my Windows machine, but it’s nowhere nearby until tomorrow.

So, I’ll post the requested code and link here.

To keep it easy, the only code in the console project is:

[code]
Dim X as Integer

For I as Integer = 1 to 100
X = X + 1
Next

Return X[/code]

The Console project file is here: http://www.xojodevspot.com/IDEencodingBug.xojo_binary_project

Opening the project, you’ll quickly notice nothing but gibberish. :frowning:

This is what the Mac Feedback looks like

Cant duplicate the copy paste as gibberish behavior at all
Tried 10.9.5 and 10.10.5 with 4 versions of Xojo 2.2, 2.3 and 24 and even a beta

Opened the project in a hex editor, several ides, & arbed
All give me the same result - that garbled text IS whats there
All ugly but UTF-8

No idea how to reproduce the original weird paste

[quote=208829:@Norman Palardy]Cant duplicate the copy paste as gibberish behavior at all
Tried 10.9.5 and 10.10.5 with 4 versions of Xojo 2.2, 2.3 and 24 and even a beta

Opened the project in a hex editor, several ides, & arbed
All give me the same result - that garbled text IS whats there
All ugly but UTF-8

No idea how to reproduce the original weird paste[/quote]

When you paste are you pasting using the key-combos? using the contextual menus is the only workaround I found… key combos are much quicker IMO though, and habit, so I keep finding myself using the key combos and screwing the IDE all up. Once it starts being all garbled, it stays garbled, even when typing in the IDE; until the IDE is completely closed then reopened again. Unfortunately, out of habit of key combos, I have to keep closing and re-opening the IDE and have that ‘oh fudge’ moment. So the garbles are actually the code in UTF-8? I’m curious as I always thought the text in the Xojo IDE was UTF-8, then it gets copied to the mac clipboard (something odd happens using key combo copy/paste), then it actually pastes in unreadable UTF-8? Guess I’ll stick with the contextual menus for a while. I never had a problem with Mac until the Yosemite version rolled out, and Safari broke (now fixed after doing a fresh installation of the OS) and all sorts of oddities happen. On that note, I did happen to find a work-around for the HTMLViewer crashing the FacebookAPI demo I made a case for. Will update that when I get to a windows machine.

Thanks for trying to figure it out Norman.

I tried every possible way to invoke copies & pastes
All just worked

Safari just “breaking” isnt normal
Are you sure this Mac is OK or that it hasn’t got buggered up RAM or something wrong ?

[quote=208834:@Norman Palardy]I tried every possible way to invoke copies & pastes
All just worked

Safari just “breaking” isnt normal
Are you sure this Mac is OK or that it hasn’t got buggered up RAM or something wrong ?[/quote]

I hope not, it was brand new in April :-/ I know for a windows machine there’s diagnostic tools to test RAM from Windows for bad RAM, but if such a tool exists for Mac, that I am unsure of. Any suggestions? Guess I could bring it to an Apple store just to be safe…I assume AppleCare Protection does include RAM…I hope (if that’s the problem).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731