2014r2 vs 2014r3

I have a large project that I moved to 2014r3 just a few days after it was released, and have had no issues, until today.

I took a small function and added a boolean parameter to it…

Now when I run the code in the IDE, it silently crashes (no logs, no unhandled exception event)… it just starts up, and dies

HOWEVER… if I go back to 2014r2, it loads and runs just fine… So I figured, ok, let 2014r2 SAVE it, and try again… same thing

OSX Mavericks

Don’t know what is happening but this sounds like something you should create a private bug report to and attach the project as it is now to it…

This type of things is very important for them to fix!

• karen

unfortunatly the project contains too much private intellectual properties and I can’t reproduce it with a smaller project as I have no idea what is going on…

I did see that others in this forum has expericed similar, but on Windows not OSX

I found this : https://forum.xojo.com/13475-xojo-2014-r2-crashing-debugs-no-working-exes/0

and clearing the caches seemed to work… THEY WERE HUGE!

Dave, do you get any warnings if you “analyze” your project? One of the things that changed is that the compiler is much more picky about not being able to choose between two methods. For instance, it used to be that you could have two global methods in two separate modules, but with the same signature and the compiler would just automagically pick one. It no longer does that.

wonder what happened to my response? Hmmmm.

clearing the caches “fixed” it (referenced by other topics I found about the same issue)

Analyze returned no anomolies other than a few unused variables or method parameters that I hadn’t cleaned up yet… but they had all been there for a while

Seems that Xojo really needs to put a “Clear Caches” option in a “Tools” menu.

This should never be necessary and any time clearing caches fixes something, there’s a bug that should be filed (ideally with the project and the caches before they were removed).

I just looked into the ~/Library/Caches/Xojo folder. The oldest folder inside was date early October. So it seems Xojo has deleted automatically anything older.

There was a feedback report (33796) filed by Jason in June after he and I discussed this. The problem for me was that the caches folder on Windows was never getting cleared out. Once the count of .rbx temp files reached 65,535, this symptom appeared.

It has been marked as “Fixed” since July, but for me, the problem persists…

[quote=155639:@Peter Truskier]There was a feedback report (33796) filed by Jason in June after he and I discussed this. The problem for me was that the caches folder on Windows was never getting cleared out. Once the count of .rbx temp files reached 65,535, this symptom appeared.

It has been marked as “Fixed” since July, but for me, the problem persists…[/quote]

This is unrelated to the caches folder previously mentioned. If you’re still seeing this specific issue, please file a new bug report with whatever details you have.

same issue. Runs fine on 2014R2.1, moved to R3.1 and it will just crash silently. Noticed that containers (at least one of them) just won’t display no matter what I do. Couple other items. Went back to R2.1 because of the problems with silent crashes when trying to start or run a debug session. I don’t have good details to share that would be helpful yet, but will respond when I have better data.

If its crashing and generating a crash log on OS X thats useful to have in a bug report