2 MAS Questions

Duhhh - that worked!
Thanks Shao.

Now I just have to find out what other mail clients are available for OS X, and then provide different versions of this code for each.

Thanks.

Good luck, I think the only other one you need to worry about is Outlook.

I think there are different version of that, so I’m just wondering if the app name is identical for each version of Outlook?

Woot? AirMail 2 and Postbox are only 2 of many successful Mail Clients on OS X :slight_smile:

Because of this i would always try to find a more general approach like “mailto:” Links.
And if all that fails, allow your customer to send Mails from within your app. This is real fun and were the real headaches beginn :smiley:

I may just offer this for mail.app users, otherwise it will get ridiculous having numerous email options.
mailto: links are ok, but then you have the trouble of attaching the desired attachment :frowning:

Why not just make Mail.app your default but have a preference option in which the user can select his/her mail client if different? Then you’d just need to update the launchWithApp call with the correct string.

Genius!
Now if only I had thought of that!

There are no demos / trials for Outlook, AirMail2 or Postbox - is there anyone here who has those installed, and who could test to ensure the code works on those clients?

Any help appreciated.

[quote=197093:@Richard Summers]Genius!
Now if only I had thought of that!

There are no demos / trials for Outlook, AirMail2 or Postbox - is there anyone here who has those installed, and who could test to ensure the code works on those clients?

Any help appreciated.[/quote]

I have them all. No really… :wink:

Update: No! I do not have Outlook! :smiley:

LOL.
Would you be able to test on the ones you have, and then let me know? Then all I have to do is find someone who uses outlook???

Sure. Please send all i need via a Private Conversation in this Forum.

They may be successful, but don’t forget the power of ignorance, where most OS X users will use what came with the machine, then many companies use Outlook for their Windows system and require their Mac users to follow suit.

Tried this in the past, you can get the default mail application to create a new e-mail, but not add an attachment this way. In fact we found that many users don’t even set the default mail application to be the one that they use (when they don’t use Apple Mail) so the “mailto” link would still open Apple Mail.

Did that in a really old greeting card app, failed most of the time because many users don’t know their own password, let alone their SMTP service.[quote=197077:@Gavin Smith]Why not just make Mail.app your default but have a preference option in which the user can select his/her mail client if different? Then you’d just need to update the launchWithApp call with the correct string.[/quote]
This is how we do it, instead of saying “e-mail” we simply say “Mail” and show the Apple Mail icon.

In the past we even tried a system where the user could enter their e-mail address and we’d send the e-mail on their behalf (their e-mail address would be the reply-to address). While this worked quite well, the trouble was our hosting company got pissed off and started billing us for the huge amount of data our mail server was processing. Plus now if the reply-to is different to the sender, many spam filters consider it spam.

@Richard Summers :

Done by scanning all Info.plist Files for “mailto”, in all Apps within the Programms Folder.

[code] Dim theAppsFolder As FolderItem
theAppsFolder = GetFolderItem(SpecialFolder.Applications.NativePath, FolderItem.PathTypeNative)

If theAppsFolder <> Nil Then

If theAppsFolder.Exists Then

if theAppsFolder<>nil then

if theAppsFolder.Directory then

Dim thePListText As TextInputStream
      Dim thePListFile As FolderItem
      Dim myString As String

for i as Integer=1 to theAppsFolder.Count
        If theAppsFolder.Item(i)<>Nil Then

thePListFile = theAppsFolder.Item(i).Child("Contents").Child("Info.plist")

If thePListFile<>Nil And thePListFile.Exists Then

Try
              thePListText = TextInputStream.Open(theAppsFolder.Item(i).Child("Contents").Child("Info.plist"))
              thePListText.Encoding = Encodings.MacRoman

myString = thePListText.ReadAll

If myString.InStr("mailto") > 0 Then

Listbox1.AddRow theAppsFolder.Item(i).Name.Replace(".app", "")

End If

Catch e As IOException
              thePListText.Close
            End Try

End If

End If

next

end if

end if

End If

End If[/code]

Sam wrote: [quote]In the past we even tried a system where the user could enter their e-mail address and we’d send the e-mail on their behalf (their e-mail address would be the reply-to address). While this worked quite well, the trouble was our hosting company got pissed off and started billing us for the huge amount of data our mail server was processing. Plus now if the reply-to is different to the sender, many spam filters consider it spam.[/quote]

There are classes around for using Mandrill, which is the mail sending component of MailChimp. For myself I’m using Sendgrid, which allows to send 200 mails per day for free. As long as the port is set to 587 I haven’t had any problems with sending mails.

@Richard: there is a preview for Outlook 2015 available. But it’s not too different from Outlook 2011, which I also have.

Using the default mail to send attachments seems to me the sure recipe for angry support requests. Between people who have the only app you did not think about, those who use web based mail and have not configured Mail, and people who simply cannot understand dock about anything but will blame the entire earth for their ignorance, pick your karma. Not to mention these people buying on the MAS will make sure to write the worst reviews, before asking for a refund…

I would go SMTPSocket that works reliably, and forget about the whole haphazard contraptions. Life is complicated enough without making it more complex.

There’s NO way to make each and every customer happy. No matter how many possible cases you try to handle with your App.

And regarding MAS reviews. I made the experience that i get often Emails from customers telling me how happy they are with my App. But i never got an Email telling me that something does not work as expected. At the same time i see 1 Star reviews because customers are unhappy and rare 3+ Star ratings from happy customers.

I’ve learned (as a customer in the MAS) to not rely on the reviews if i want to know if an App is worth the time & money. And i have an App with only 2 ratings which are 1 star ratings. This is still and by far, my best selling app. Because of this, i assume that most customers in the MAS do not rely on reviews and stars only.

Regarding customers. I never thought that my customers are “too dumb” to use my App. Every time a customer is complaining about a solution, i try to see it from the customers point of view and try to improve my solution. I never try to “train” my customer on how to use my App.

Sometimes the customer is complaining and does not even give you the chance to make it better. But that is something i just have to accept and live with.

If i have the feeling that i need to implement a feature which may cause more then just some customers to become confused by, i choose the solution i think most customers would prefer and try to add as many information and help/tutorials/manuals as possible for this solution into my project. But even this will not guaranty that i will make every customer happy… :slight_smile:

(I always feel uncomfortable when writing such long posts. Because of my weak english. And i hope i do not get misunderstood.) :smiley:

Keep it simple for the user. He will be happy. Our job is to sell software. Not nurse bruised egos.