$150 License Increase = Increased Roadmap Velocity

answering the question, no.

why would anyone assume that an increase in licence cost would make anything change.

that would seem to assume that the reason for not fixing bugs, not listening to users concerns, not updating previous versions(ie API 1 in 19r1) or not adding new features, is only due to the cost of the licence.

I do not believe the cost of the licence has ever been a factor in changing the roadmap, or any other issue mentioned above, but if that is true, it is not something ever intimated by the company its self (obviously).

I would like to believe the roadmap is based on a solid strategy which understands the market and user base requirements…

but what appears to be going on (to me, my opinion only) is android and API2, when perhaps many people (who express an opinion on this public forum) want is top quality iOS, web and API1 bug fixes and feature additions.

I have no interest in android(which I know is completely irrelevant), the few apps I make in android are done with a very good BASIC language compiler, none of the apps pay anything after their creation, I have found its impossible to make money from an android app unless its to support a bit of hardware I make, in my limited experience android is not worth more than the 90€ I paid for a two year update subscription to the other compiler, I hope the android version in Xojo is as fully complete and easy to use, debug and has the same support and cost that the other compiler is able to afford.
if it is as incomplete as the iOS version we have now it might be less welcomed than other offerings the are well matured.
the iOS version is 299$ and appears to be non optimal, I hope the android version is absolutely feature perfect, has no need for any third party plugins and is provided free licence in the same way raspberry pi is, as no one will pay for that licence either.

As for API2, I am unable to be at this time positive.

for me I would like to pay the same (and not inexpensive) cost of a PRO licence which has a really stable Mac, Linux, Pi, win, web iOS and console platforms all using API1 with the option of using API2(based on OS target) where it is absolutely necessary due to OS requirements, and that being a selectable choice, not forcing depreciations to be churned out or having no choice about changing event names.

Myself personally, am not an Android fan. But professionally, if I want to build (or someone wants a contractor to build them) a custom iOS app using Xojo - an Android version should just follow with little extra effort. This reason alone justifies Xojo’s efforts in that direction.

Obviously Xojo and iOS is not without merit, e.g., Packr @ 650,000 downloads.

With patience, I see Android with Xojo API 2.0 succeeding just as well as iOS, or better. The future looks bright to me.

[quote]answering the question, no.

why would anyone assume that an increase in licence cost would make anything change.

that would seem to assume that the reason for not fixing bugs, not listening to users concerns, not updating previous versions [/quote]

Mark - if you read the title it says increased cost = increased velocity through roadmap. No assumption made with the question whatsoever. One results in the other. The question was very specific. Once again don’t concern yourself with the ‘how’.

Also no mention in my question is made to bugs. Roadmap was (is) the focus.

Indeed, whenever the topic comes, I always see posts such as ‘I am not interested in Android’. As if Xojo should cater only to these individuals.

Some of us may develop only personally, but others like me pay the rent selling software to the public. Truth is, now, Android alone represents already the same market share as Windows. And growing.

On Amazon, mobile users represent over 50% of buyers.

We cannot ignore the mobile trend. Look around you. More and more people use their phone everyday, doing everything on it.

Dave S quite rightly reminds us that in the end, Xojo sells a software product, just like most of us professionals. Just like I must move my popular apps to Android and iOS, Xojo’s future depends on it’s ability to satisfy the growing mobile market.

Actually, they are even kind of late to the party.

No. Not here.

I’m happy spending $699 every 5 years. My last pro license was in 2015 and web 2.0 will press me to buy another.

I do not write software for a living though, xojo is my duct tape to problems in an IT business.

If Xojo does what you propose, increasing the license with 150 USD, then instead of doing 30% of my development in Snaky, I will do ALL my projects in Snaky. It is very unlikely I will continue developing in Xojo when it remains so buggy as it is now.

Like others mentioned already, Xojo is a closed proprietary language. Together with the hugh amount of bugs, that is its greatest weakness in a world where the mainstream languages are free.

You asked for an opinion, I gave you now my personal opinion.

For your information, “Snaky” is an alias for a competing free mainstream development environment. But we are not allowed to mention or talk about the competition.

Chris