10.13.6 full of fun :(

OK. So I get the usual notification a new update is available. 10.13.6. Yeah !
Download and restart.

After installation, the iMac does not recognize any blue tooth mouse or keyboard. Had to fetch a corded PC keyboard and mouse.

What happens to people who don’t have antique corded keyword and mouse ? They are on their way to the genius bar ?

10.13.6 killed my dad’s iMac. I booted off an external drive and fixed the boot drive. it wouldnt even show up as an option to boot from until I fixed it. that update is just bad.

Antique keyboards are about 1000% better than newer ones. The keyboard that came with my iMac lasted about half an hour. Then it went back into the package because it was so loud.

A recent “security update” for High Sierra killed the iMac, too. Therefore, I’m not so keen of having a fun day of restoring all data again.

That is why I continue with the last system that I still trust ( Sierra 10.12 ), including my clients I strongly advise not to update as long as they can.

[quote=431086:@Michel Bujardet]What happens to people who don’t have antique corded keyword and mouse ? They are on their way to the genius bar ?

[/quote]
If you haven’t disabled it, the bluetooth assistant should come up when no keyboard or no mouse is detected

That is exactly what happens, the bluetooth assistant wants a keyboard and a mouse, and nothing will happen until one plugs a new keyboard and mouse. Amazingly enough, after a click on the assistant with the corded mouse, both blue tooth mouse and keyboard are seen. Although macOS insists on having me punch the key next to shift, and then say it cannot recognize the keyboard. Yeah right, the original iMac keyboard…

Well, after skipping the keyboard recognition, the desktop appeared, and since then it seems macOS is happy as ever.

I always carry a small wired keyboard and mouse in my car, just in case … :wink:

Talking about OS upgrades:

1. I am still using El Capitan.
    But, I am starting to get more and more weird stuff… no later that yesterday, I noticed iTunes was running (and I do not know how it was fired at the first place)… Sometimes, the download speed slow down to a snail speed… and so on.

2. I wanted to use Mojave (and I installed it on an external HD), but it is so small… Works strangely (sometimes a previous page appears in my firefox tab…)
    It even took far from 1 minute to download…
    Nota: I do not even take the time to remove the Passwork asking screen at boot time (so, I really reject it).

All these started when Apple executives (think big wigs) changed the windows green button behavior on an ancient OS version. It just happens once or twice a week that I mistakenly click in it (of course, 25 or more years of experience can be changed, but this takes time).
(How do I disable Dashboard ?)

And I do not talk about bugs (while using macOS) in the system that spread on each version, some are here since when I upgraded from 10.2 to 10.3 (yes, that old)…

Conclusion: where is the fun using macOS ? Long lost.

[quote=431125:@Emile Schwarz]Talking about OS upgrades:

1. I am still using El Capitan.
    But, I am starting to get more and more weird stuff… no later that yesterday, I noticed iTunes was running (and I do not know how it was fired at the first place)… Sometimes, the download speed slow down to a snail speed… and so on.

2. I wanted to use Mojave (and I installed it on an external HD), but it is so small… Works strangely (sometimes a previous page appears in my firefox tab…)
    It even took far from 1 minute to download…
    Nota: I do not even take the time to remove the Passwork asking screen at boot time (so, I really reject it).

All these started when Apple executives (think big wigs) changed the windows green button behavior on an ancient OS version. It just happens once or twice a week that I mistakenly click in it (of course, 25 or more years of experience can be changed, but this takes time).
(How do I disable Dashboard ?)

And I do not talk about bugs (while using macOS) in the system that spread on each version, some are here since when I upgraded from 10.2 to 10.3 (yes, that old)…

Conclusion: where is the fun using macOS ? Long lost.[/quote]

So you aren’t using Mojave because:

1. Sometimes a “previous page” appears in Firefox - nothing to do with Mojave
  2. It takes far longer than 1 minute to download - ???
  3. You have a firmware password set - nothing to do with Mojave
  4. There are bugs leftover from Mac OS X 10.3 Panther in 2003 - like what?!

[quote=431125:@Emile Schwarz]
(How do I disable Dashboard ?)[/quote]

For goodness sake, you go to System Preferences, type “dashboard” in the search box and select Off in the popup menu.

Honestly, I don’t know how some of you people get anything done.

Thank you for the tip.

I go there (System Preferences), but did not found (after some clicks here and there)…

A google search returns 10 y/o or more hits with bad comments…

Password on boot: you are right. But after 11 different installed OS versions, I am starting to be bored.
My Xojo (2015r1) does not understand the 64 Bits compilation (no money to upgrade), so Mojave can be used, but not its following version (probably).

With time (and age) going, like in the song “I’m so tired…”. :frowning:
[I stopped to use stairs some years ago]

We do what we can ;(

Edit:
Who used less than useful bytes to code the year for 2K (the second millenium) in its OS ? You know, the most used OS in the world.
Do not help me, I am recalling the name… ah, yes ! Microsoft !
[No, this is not funny at all.]