XOJO IDE extremely slow typing response

I had posted this bug to Feedback last year <https://xojo.com/issue/28715>

It’s now listed as “Fixed & Verified” ( shouldn’t the order be reversed there? ) but it’s not fixed.

The latest IDE 2013r4.1 still does this. It seems to start after I have built my project. If I reboot my system and boot XOJO, then it works normally, and after I build the project for the first time, then the typing speed slows to a crawl - I mean unbelievably slow, only a few of characters a second appear - totally unusable, impossible to get any work done.

So, how do I open this case? Do I have to post a new case?

Thanks.

The feedback case is indeed closed and you may want to open another one. But IMHO 28715 lacked information which would have helped solving the case.

Which platform and computer configuration ? How much RAM ? Is it happening with a particular project ?

Could it be a memory problem ? Sounds like memory paging because of not enough RAM. When it happens, is this affecting other programs as well ?

Well, my system details were sent with the original feedback, and Xojo says it was fixed, so … how exactly does that indicate that I didn’t supply enough info to fix it? If they request more, then I certainly give them more.

MacBook Pro, 8 GB RAM showing 3 GB free when working - absolutely no way this is a memory problem. Running Mavericks, but the same thing was happening on Snow Leopard. I use Free Memory on Mavericks because there are indeed memory cleanup problems with the OS, but I really don’t think that’s what’s causing this.

It happens randomly, after building an app. No, other running processes are not affected. It’s definitely a bug in Xojo; they acknowledged this problem before and it has not been solved.

It seems like Xojo is doing some kind of background threaded cleanup after building that slows IDE typing response to a crawl, but I checked in Activity Monitor and I don’t see any extra threads or CPU spike when this happens.

I’m finding that if I just wait, then it goes away after about 5-10 minutes and resumes normal behavior.

Posted as <https://xojo.com/issue/32599>

Feedback cases do not show the information you sent to Xojo. Just the messages. So that’s all other members see.

I have never encountered what you report under Mac OS X.

[quote=70355:@Michel Bujardet]Feedback cases do not show the information you sent to Xojo. Just the messages. So that’s all other members see.

I have never encountered what you report under Mac OS X.[/quote]
Xojo employees see more details.

It’s understandable. Fact is, the OP posted in “General”, so it was not possible to guess what platform it was. Slow IDE has been reported for Linux and Windows, not Mac OS X. The post should have been made in OS X to be more accurate.

I’ve experienced this 2 or 3 times running on OS X. The IDE slows to an absolute crawl whilst trying to type anything.
I usually restart the computer and it cures the problem. This is on a 2013 iMac with 24 Gigs of RAM.

When / if this happens its really useful to open Activity monitor & maybe sample the IDE and also see what else is going on (CPU usage etc)
The times I’ve seen this it s actually been something else on the machine causing it
Wait a bit and things pop back to normal usually
This is on a rMBP with 16Gb RAM & a large SSD where everything runs from

I will try looking at activity monitor next time I experience this. It’s happened to me on several occasions and only restarting the IDE will fix it. I believe its Xojo and not something else on the computer but it’s very intermittent so I can’t say for certain.

I wonder if this has something to do with plugins (I use the full MBS plugin) … Paul and Joseph, do you also use MBS?

I gave Xojo my current project through Feedback, and today also attached an Activity Monitor Sample taken during one of the crawls.

https://xojo.com/issue/32599 Please sign on to the Feedback ticket and provide any other info that could help them solve this. It happens every time I quit a debug session of my current project. Thanks.

I am not using MBS. The only plugin not shipped with Xojo that I use is Valentina. But I don’t get the slow down with the same repeatability as you’re getting. If it’s happening every time then you’re project is a perfect example of whatever bug is causing this. I haven’t had it happen since before I originally posted to this thread.

<https://xojo.com/issue/32599>

PLEASE sign onto this ticket and tell the Xojo team to fix this. It is impossible to get any work done in Xojo when this happens.

Remember that loading more plugins than you use DOES impact all kinds of things

1. memory - they all reside in the same process space so if you use lots they take up memory
  2. there’s more surf to search through when you type - hence it can slow down autocomplete etc
  3. because they all reside in the same process IF you have a big project it can cause the project to swap (if you don’t have much physical ram) and this can induce slowness as the process & its memory is swapped to / from disk
  4. if you have a big project lots of unused plugins can also mean you run out of memory for your big project sooner since they occupy memory - but are unused

In short, load the plugins you use, not everything you can get your hands on

Norman… not in line with this topic… but is related to your answer above.

In the Xojo Plugins Folder there are 5 database related plugins that came with the install (even though I don’t have a DB license).

Are those being loaded up each time?
If so, would there be a benefit to moving them to another directory?
Does this affect compiled apps that don’t use/need them?

Yes these DB plugins are loaded when the IDE starts up.
Moving them should have no effect on projects that do not use them.
At least it doesn’t with mine :slight_smile:

Any plugin in the Plugin directory would be loaded
If you’re not using them you can move them out of the way

The database plugins have a slow impact on memory usage. Code is loaded on demand and the initialization typically is just a few dozen KB normally…

If you look on my case 32974 and 32973, you see that for me the IDE is spending a lot of time on counting windows.

So Aaron, when you see this on Mac, please use Activity monitor to sample Xojo IDE and report what you see.

[quote=79434:@Christian Schmitz]If you look on my case 32974 and 32973, you see that for me the IDE is spending a lot of time on counting windows.

So Aaron, when you see this on Mac, please use Activity monitor to sample Xojo IDE and report what you see.[/quote]

Thanks, Christian. I had also sent a sample from Activity Monitor with my feedback. It seems at least case 32974 should be merged?

I thought that leaving all the MBS plugins in the Plugins folder was not a problem even if I access only a few of them for a project, because they get loaded dynamically for compiling. I thought they weren’t loaded if they weren’t used in my project? So, this is confusing me a little:

When I check the memory usage of Xojo in Activity monitor during these slowdowns, it is normal, not anywhere near the 2GB max.

[quote=79441:@Aaron Hunt]
I thought that leaving all the MBS plugins in the Plugins folder was not a problem even if I access only a few of them for a project, because they get loaded dynamically for compiling. I thought they weren’t loaded if they weren’t used in my project? [/quote]
The IDE opens & examines every one of the plugins, creates some bridging code it needs and keeps all that around.
So if you have 100 plugins in the dir then it loads all this when it starts.
The amount of memory this uses will vary.
BUT it adds a LOT of classes methods modules etc to the things it has to search when you start typing

Best advice - put only the ones you’re going to use in the plugins dir & keep the rest out of there