Xojo Book Topics Survey

Hello Everyone,

Could I ask that the forum members take this one-question survey on the topics for future Xojo computer books? From the last survey, Three books from the last survey (SQLite, XML, and PostgreSQL) have been created with almost total 1000 pages of documentation and more than 200 example programs. This survey started today (22 Feb 2014) and the survey will close in 7 days (1 Mar 2014).

I will post the results after the survey has ended.

Thanks for a minute of your time to participate :slight_smile:

One-Question Book Survey

Bump

Thanks for everyone’s participation :slight_smile: The survey will be closed tomorrow and I’ll post the results.

Where are they ?

Will you continue updating the current books? I bought them all (excellent job, BTW) and the plugin one seems a bit short in examples (String handling in my case, where I would add a new chapter for them :))

I expect the survey results too :wink:

Hi Emile,

The books can be purchased at RB Library

The table of contents of the books can be viewed before purchasing at Eugene’s Book Page

[quote=68698:@Amando Blasco]Will you continue updating the current books? I bought them all (excellent job, BTW) and the plugin one seems a bit short in examples (String handling in my case, where I would add a new chapter for them :))

I expect the survey results too ;)[/quote]

Hi Amando,

Yes, I am currently updating the books. Your right, the I Wish I Knew How To…Program Plugins with Xojo in Windows book has only a few examples. This was one of the more challenging books as it requires the knowledge of two languages. With the ability to code dot NET from the Xojo IDE, there seems to be little demand for the work. This is why I have created the surveys to see which topics would help the Xojo community the most. Thanks for your suggestion about string handling and I will add this to the list of suggestions - greatly appreciated!

Survey results are coming right away :slight_smile:

Hi Eugene,

Hm? Is this possible??

Thanks a awaiting new and updated books from you soon! :slight_smile:

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for participating in the survey. Here are the results and the top four topics: 1) Canvas Control, 2) Beginning Xojo Web, 3) Http Socket Control, and 4) Javascript/Java/JSON

Part of the survey included a section on other suggestions and here are the summarized results:
a) Open GL (3D Programming) Introduction to Xojo OpenGL, Online Xojo Open GL <–A GREAT resource!!!
b) Game Programming (Animation Programming)
c) Class interfaces with sockets (including introspection)
d) OS Declares
e) Object Oriented Programming (RB Object Oriented Programming Bundle)
f) Advanced Xojo Web Programming and Deployment
g) Introduction to Database Business Applications
h) Threads RB Threads
i) How to win millions of dollars and retire in the Bahamas (chuckle - what a great topic!)
j) Cocoa and Xojo Functionality (Example: MacOSLIB, etc.)

Some of the suggestions for other topics exist in Real Studio, and it would be great if there were updates to the updated Xojo program.

Looks like the topic Canvas will be getting some attention :slight_smile:

Thanks for participating!

[quote=68709:@Amando Blasco]Hi Eugene,

Hm? Is this possible??

Thanks a awaiting new and updated books from you soon! :)[/quote]

HI Amando,

There have been some topics on the Xojo Forums which have created .Net programs, here are a few of the links:

Accessing .NET code from Xojo <-A great article
C# Classes in Xojo

My apologies as I mis-spoke. Dot NET code can be accessed by Xojo, not created by Xojo.

@Eugene Dakin If you need some inspiration for the Canvas control and Games, I made some tutorials on my blog some time ago. Most of them are for RB2007R4, but they can be reworked to fit Xojo better. One of the upcoming articles will be a full blown Physics Engine for RB/Xojo.

https://alwaysbusycorner.wordpress.com/?s=canvas

Cheers,

Alain

Hi Alain,

Your website has FANTASTIC examples and code for the Xojo Canvas. I will send a personal email and we can talk about this some more.

A good suggestion, thank you.