"This item does not exist"

I created a window with some subclassed textfields on it… all was working fine until all of a sudden the compiler spits out this

winEDIT.inpData.Name Layout (property name) ...... This item does not exist ....NAME

Uh… I see the form winEDIT… I see 4 instances of inpData() on that form… I see 4 members of the control group in the left pane…

So obviously this error message must be triggered by something else… any one have any idea what?

The only time I have ever seen this before is when code is missing line an END IF, END SELECT etc… but in those cases there has always been ANOTHER error message indicating this. Today I have ONE compile error … the one above

Did you insert an “end sub” or “end function” somewhere to escape early from whatever you were doing? Thats the only time I have had this happen to me.

That might affect the execution… but not the compile (I was thinking EXIT SUB)

and so far I have examined most every event, method, action etc… and nothing is out of whack…
and most are actually quite small pieces of code… as I have not gotten to the meat and potatoes of this project yet.

the only “END” statements are END IF, END SELECT

EDIT : TO STRANGE!

I exported the window with the error…
Deleted the window from the project
Saved the project
Quit XOJO
reloaded the project
reimported the window

NO ERROR NOW

[quote=62719:@Dave S]That might affect the execution… but not the compile (I was thinking EXIT SUB)

and so far I have examined most every event, method, action etc… and nothing is out of whack…
and most are actually quite small pieces of code… as I have not gotten to the meat and potatoes of this project yet.

the only “END” statements are END IF, END SELECT

EDIT : TOO STRANGE!

I exported the window with the error…
Deleted the window from the project
Saved the project
Quit XOJO
reloaded the project
reimported the window

NO ERROR NOW[/quote]

This error message also appears, when you subclass a control and the standard constructor is not accessible for the compiler (because its scope has been set to protected or private).

I just had exactly the same issue.

xxxx.yyyy.Name Layout (property name) … This item does not exist …name

Closed the project.
Reopened it.
Problem went away.

Three guys are standing by a stalled car on the side of the road, looking under the hood. The Microsoft guy says : “let us take the engine entirely apart and rebuild it”. The Intel guy says “let us simply change the engine”. The IBM guy says “maybe if we let it rest for a while, the bug will go away ?” …

[quote=104358:@James Pitchford]I just had exactly the same issue.

xxxx.yyyy.Name Layout (property name) … This item does not exist …name

Closed the project.
Reopened it.
Problem went away.[/quote]
What kind of project ?
Whats on this layout ?
I can think of a few causes but they are project type specific

[quote=62715:@Dave S]I created a window with some subclassed textfields on it… all was working fine until all of a sudden the compiler spits out this

winEDIT.inpData.Name Layout (property name) ...... This item does not exist ....NAME

[/quote]
What kind of project is this Dave ?

Desktop, OSX. ContainerControl.
Next time it happens I’ll write down more detail.

Happened again. The old 1:2 of closing and reopening fixed it.
I was in the process of deleting the use of some defined events from a textArea subclass.

Bill Gates said… Try rolling the windows down and back up again…

Norm : LOL I honestly don’t recall… I mean seriously Feb… I can’t remember yesterday sometimes :smiley:

This happened to me very often in 2014r1.1
But store, close xojo an reopen did not solve the problem.
Always had to recontruct the item, which “did not exist”

So far not in r2

Which release was it?

Same thing me with right now (Win 7, xojo 2014 r2)

I was working with a set of label controls on the mousedrag event I was trying the code window1.label(index).left=x and this caused that error.
It must be a bug

Closed, restarded Xojo en bug went away

rgds

There is a bug, when you activate several members of a set at one time and alter some properties at once, then the index of the members might change.
I was promissed, that this bug will be fixed in the next release.

But closing and restarting did never work on this bug.