Xojo makes debut on TIOBE

I enjoy following and analyzing the popularity rankings of programming languages published at www.tiobe.com. While doing my monthly read on the website I noticed that Xojo made its debut in the rankings (first time since the name change last year).

PS. Strange to see that Logo is ranked at number 21… never knew programming turtles could be so popular.

Programmers in the world: about 43,000,000
Xojo: about 0.2%

-> 86,000

Great news. If Xojo developers would blog a bit more, then Xojo can get up higher in the list. Congratulations Xojo!

Is that bad that VB6 is in at number 7 still, Xojo is number 99 out of 100 :-/ the 21 languages I use regularly are in the top 50… Then the 22nd is number 99…so sad… i wish everyone knew about Xojo (one day)!

The languages #51 through 100 are just on alphabetical and that’s why Xojo is close to the bottom. For all we know, it might be number 52. Without the name change from “Real Studio” and “realbasic” to the new name of Xojo, it would never have showed up on the list. We just need to blog, and post and answer questions on StackOverflow and we’ll be on our way up the list!

StackOverflow is an incredibly useful resource for many other languages and I often wish there was more of a Xojo presence there. Seems most people keep the Xojo discussions and Q&A to this forum, which can be both beneficial and detrimental to Xojo adoption.

I’m not sure why anyone asking Xojo questions would use StackOverflow in the first place. All of the Xojo experts are generally here.

If you start a Xojo blog, let me know and I’ll link to it from http://www.bkeeneybriefs.com!

Exactly. But StackOverflow is a very popular tool used for many languages, and the complete lack of Xojo discussion on there can come off negatively for Xojo. We all know that the place to go for Xojo discussions is here, but the community (in terms of size), exposure, search, and question-answering setup on StackOverflow is much better. It’s where people go for programming answers for most languages. To an outsider, it might seem like Xojo is a less legitimate language since it has no presence there.

Either way I don’t expect Xojo to move anything over there.

[quote=58499:@Tom Iwaniec]Exactly. But StackOverflow is a very popular tool used for many languages, and the complete lack of Xojo discussion on there can come off negatively for Xojo. We all know that the place to go for Xojo discussions is here, but the community (in terms of size), exposure, search, and question-answering setup on StackOverflow is much better. It’s where people go for programming answers for most languages. To an outsider, it might seem like Xojo is a less legitimate language since it has no presence there.

Either way I don’t expect Xojo to move anything over there.[/quote]
I think there’s a bit of chicken-and-egg there. I know I personally don’t watch SO for Xojo questions, because there isn’t really any. And there aren’t any because there isn’t anybody there asking questions.

One reason why people will ask Xojo questions on StackOverflow is to avoid certain biased members here.

Another reason to have Xojo conversation on StackOverflow is to help increase Xojo popularity.

If Xojo’ers only exist in the native Xojo realm here on this forum then it’s growth rate will be slower than if many Xojo communications were on a more popular wider (non-Xojo-familiar) audience forum like Stack.

It’s good Xojo Q/A exists on Stack. We need more of it to help inform others about using Xojo.

Umm, no. REALbasic was on that list before. Also in the 51-100 section.

The name change to Xojo was a very good strategy to give the language it’s own unique identity IMO. Too often colleagues of mine simply thought of Real as another basic clone without realizing Xojo is a very unique and powerful language in its own right. I can already see their attitudes towards the language is changing now that Xojo has a stronger identity.

I’m sure Xojo’s popularity will continue to increase as their long term vision starts becoming a reality (e.g. LLVM, iOS, 64-bit, common framework across environments, etc.), which might be the push they need to jump into the top 50 on TIOBE.

Seems like Xojo is holding its ground on the TIOBE rakings for February.

This is the first time since I started following TIOBE that REALBasic/Real Studio/Xojo was able to hold a position in the top 100 for two consecutive months in a row.

Probably a good indication that the Xojo’s popularity is increasing.

also it is easier to identify Xojo over Real Basic/Real Studio. The RB/RS names did not offer enough uniqueness for tiobe to find the signal in the middle of all that noise.

The more we all twitter/facebook/blog/etc about Xojo the better off we will be on the index.