No 2020 release yet almost 7 months in

I have 5 months left on my ‘subscription’ and following purchase (at 19r1) there have been no beneficial releases of the product that could warrant that purchase.

May I ask Xojo Towers, now the ARM Mac announcement is fully in public view, does that make the current roadmap obsolete and all the current work on any expected updates that are not Mac based be put on hold?.

There are a lot of good business people on this forum who know their stuff, as 19r1 is now officially abandoned and will never ever get any kind of update or bug fix would any one like to put a bid in with Xojo to buy that abandoned code base and do something with it?
I want to do that, I bet it would take a lot less than 6 months for those engineers to get up to date with the code base and fix the stuff that the investors would like to sort out.

yes its just a dream, take a failing something, put a whole load of people who are emotionally invested in it and let them power through all the difficulties and come out the other side as heroes.
yup rambo, Bourne, bambi, a million others.

I do not think I have crossed any forum guidelines in this post.
if I have , excuse me, I am sorry for having a opinion, please tell me how long one might be banned from the forum for having an opinion.

i agree this update release took very long.
i like to see the ide more modular with just checkboxes to versions,beta,api 1 & api 2.
where you have all in one product,
desktop windows api 1 / 2019r1
desktop windows api 2 / 2019r3.1
desktop linux / raspberry pi
desktop mac
mobile ios
mobile android beta
web 1
web 2 beta

??? I don’t understand. Actual version is 2019r3.1, when we update a software we change its version number and “abandon” the previous version.
Are you speaking about API1?

Why would XOJO give you an old copy of their code base so you could start up as competition to them? It does not make any sense from a business point of view.

As an investor why would I want to invest in the continued development of a product that has already been rejected by the potential customer base?

Catching falling knives is not to be recommended.

I disagree with the controversy.
We just have to ask xojo to be clearer about the release of the new realease.

[quote=494548:@Stefano Pappalardo]I disagree with the controversy.
We just have to ask xojo to be clearer about the release of the new realease.[/quote]
at least
i think everybody expect bug fixes within a narrow time frame.
i guess adding android and web 2 is a major construction site whereby you can’t say a firm date.
for me i do not need a complete android framework, i woud be happy if we can get what is ready(finished) to use.

One big problem with the current release system of Xojo is that bug corrections are not released as soon as possible, but tied to big releases. I would love to have more frequent BUG corrections releases and separate FEATURES releases.
The problem is exacerbated by Xojo refusing do patch older versions.

I would enjoy if Xojo Inc. could release a 2020r1 soon and call the Web 2.0 a developer preview.
And then list a few points on what’s not yet finished and get that done with r2 a month or two later.
But that’s one my opinion.

PS: That r1 with developer preview should have come 3 months ago.

[quote=494554:@Philippe Schmid]One big problem with the current release system of Xojo is that bug corrections are not released as soon as possible, but tied to big releases. I would love to have more frequent BUG corrections releases and separate FEATURES releases.
The problem is exacerbated by Xojo refusing do patch older versions.[/quote]

This is exactly my issue, I have a ton of FIXED bugs being held hostage by huge features that have no foreseeable release date. AND, if the did release I would be SOL with my Web 1.0 projects. I can see them wanting to wait to release Web 2.0 with 2020r1, it looks good on paper but it is not good for us developers who rely on Xojo to make a living. Most of our clients are not looking for stuff they don’t even know exists (like Web 2.0) they want bugs fixed. I hate having to tell my clients that they will have to wait for the next release of the framework to have their bug fixed. At first, I tell them we will probably see something in the first quarter, then its pushed back to half a year, now I have to tell them it probably won’t happen till the end of the year or next. They start to question me and my software choice and I start to believe them.

Why not push a couple of dot releases? We changed the way we call alphas and betas, why not change the 20XXrX release names? I think we need an LTS version that gets framework/critical fixes and move new features (possibly code-breaking) to regular builds that can come out when they are ready and get merged with the next LTS. I’m not asking to bring the new features of Web 2.0 to Web 1.0, just please let us have some of the fixes that are already fixed and waiting to be released.

[quote=494558:@Christian Schmitz]I would enjoy if Xojo Inc. could release a 2020r1 soon and call the Web 2.0 a developer preview.
And then list a few points on what’s not yet finished and get that done with r2 a month or two later.
But that’s one my opinion.

PS: That r1 with developer preview should have come 3 months ago.[/quote]

The issue with that is Web 1.0 would not exist in that build and Web 2.0 is not ready so we won’t be able to take advantage of any of the framework or IDE fixes in our Web 1.0 or 2.0 projects. I do agree that we should have seen something a long time ago.

I maybe mistaken but with the new way Xojo Inc now handles betas (they release builds weekly now) every paying customer can download those ‘weekly’ versions in the Testers forum.

You can and they sometimes contain the fixes we want but they cannot be used for production and Web 1.0 is nowhere to be found.

To cut the anxiety of those “not seeing” the R1, and instead of the “Stable Preview” said by Christian, why not a “public latest unstable” in the download section of the Xojo website, where ANYONE could pick the current unstable version, such IDE from this channel will have a hardcoded limited life of 30 days after its release and we will see a warning message at start up about the alpha like stage, incomplete docs, stability problems and whatever. After 30 days, the IDE will not run anymore and you should update it with another unstable one or use a release. So, people desperately waiting for the long missing 2019 bug fixes for IDE, Windows, Mac and Linux, could use it, as CURRENTLY the real VERY unstable part is web 2.0, and curious people could poke it without being able to build without a license.

This depends whether the current previews contain some method, control, event which is “finished” and ready, but subsequent beta testing shows that they have to alter/change/rename/withdraw that later in order to, say, get Web 2.0 to work. Then we might really be in the soup.

how is this different than current builds available to testers ?
either way you would still need a license to use it - stable or not

[quote=494586:@Norman Palardy]how is this different than current builds available to testers ?
either way you would still need a license to use it - stable or not[/quote]

I imagine the beta one would expire…So if his license is expired by the time the release comes then he has nothing at all since the Beta he had in the mean time is expired.

[quote=494586:@Norman Palardy]how is this different than current builds available to testers ?
either way you would still need a license to use it - stable or not[/quote]

Read with care. This is open to anyone, even those with an expired license. They just can’t build.
This will be in the downloads section of the Xojo website, you even don’t need to be in the Testers group to try it.

This solves the Thomas problem of no access.

This is kind of the “daily” unstable builds of other softwares, but with a larger frequency than “daily”.

And we urgently need to get an overview over the bugs in Xojo 2019r3 for BS so that the Xojo persons can fix the bugs for 2020r1.

Oh, 60739 has been fixed today. That’s very good news. <https://xojo.com/issue/60739>

Doesnt solve Alex issue though where the fixes he needs/desires are in a non-release version
I doubt there’s a simple cure like “throw testing open to everyone” that deals with the state things are in today