Label.TextColor = &c00000000 does not equal black text. Why???

I have several labels that I am using as indicators on a window with a black background.

I’ve discovered that when I set the Label.TextColor to &c00000000, the label text becomes gray (not black).

The closest to actual black I can get is to set Label.TextColor to some very low but non-zero value.

I want the labels to essentially disappear into the black window background when they are not hi-lighted.

Why does the label control refuse to display text as black?

This is happening on Ubuntu & Raspbian Linux if that matters.

Xojo turns text that is &c000000 to the system provided text color so that dark mode works correctly. To disable the auto system-color feature you have to use a slightly off-black as you’ve discovered. Doing so by only one is all that’s necessary, as long as it’s not &c000000.

Edit: It probably shouldn’t happen on systems that don’t support dark mode, but I would guess that feature is why you’re not able to use &c000000 black.

Maybe a bug related to the alpha channel (transparency). Create a sample case and post a bug report.

also with = Color.Black ?
or its because label should be visible and black on block is forbidden.
label have not a .visible property?

colors really need 3 settings

1. an explicit color ( &c000000 )
  2. a name (like Red or TextColor)
  3. maybe a value like “Default” which, on a supported OS, follows the default for the control (textcolor for labels,text areas, textfields)
    this way when you’re in Dark mode on macOS its one color, in light mode its different

Right now &c00000000 serves purpose 3

If you want it to NEVER change from “black” use &c01000000

<https://xojo.com/issue/60758>

An “internal color” needs more bits to describe the special features OUTSIDE the RGBA value.

1 Like

Thanks guys.

I had a suspicion that I was dealing with a “magic number” implementation. I truly hate magic numbers. I agree with Norman that there needs to be some additional metadata like the “Default” he suggests to indicate that the object should track the OS specified color scheme.

&c00000000 really should yield Black, not some undocumented alternate color and/or behavior.

Anyway, my curiosity is assuaged and I’ll add some code to fudge my way around this.

-Wes

OS color support should not be assumed to be 32 bit values :slight_smile:
NSColor represent each component as a CGFloat and so can represent colors that dont have an exact equivalent in a Xojo color
.Net’s “Color” has ScA, ScB, ScG, ScR which are all floats

Xojo doesnt have a color type that maps onto those well as it assumes colors are only 32 bits

This is not working for me in dark mode

LabelSpread.TextColor = &c00000000

Am I missing something?

<https://xojo.com/issue/53349>

Perhaps Xojo could add Color.Default to the color enumeration and have it always set the System’s default text color. Then &c000000 could always return black. Would that solve the dark mode issue?

The reason black became the “automatic switch” color was so that old projects could be instantly updated for dark mode without needing to adjust colors.

Understandable and maybe even justifiable but not a good decision in the long run. I still think ‘magic numbers’ are bad news.

1 Like

Yeah, I had more to say, but I determined it wasn’t constructive and edited my response down to just that tidbit.

1 Like

Sorry for the brief description. Yes I followed the thread. I am having an issue with turning a field red (that works ok) but when I try to turn the field black it does not show up in dark mode. I tried using LabelSpread.TextColor = &c00000000 and still in dark mode when I go from red to black sit dose not show correctly. ( it shows fine out of dark mode but in dark mode it is no visible).

Anything other than &c00000000 isn’t ‘real’ black. It may be very close but it’s not black. Hence the reason for this thread in the first place. :smirk:

Have you tried using Color.TextColor in your code to get the appropriate color for dark mode and light mode?

Or rather Color.Black. The constant should not change between both screen modes.

Hi Paul.

Not sure about color.Text. I am coverting over to the screen or Mobile (latest release). I have noticed that it is set up to accommodate the dark mode and works and looks great. I have a field or two that I turn red to highlight information and then of course I would like to turn back to black when another field is selected. This field that I turn back to black does don’t appear or is unreadable because the text is black. The text is there because in “light mode” the label is there in back.

LabelFlow.TextColor = &c00000000
LabelSpread.TextColor = Color.Red

So I tried the code above and the red works nicely and the &c00000000 is black so in dark mode you can not see it. How do I turn the text dark and have it also respond to be readable in dark mode?

Thanks.

If you’re using mobile then perhaps you want a Color Group.

https://documentation.xojo.com/topics/graphics/supporting_dark_mode_and_more_with_color_groups.html