Arbed updated to 1.9.2

Arbed, the project comparison and merging tool for REAL Studio and Xojo projects, has been updated for Xojo 2019r2’s new SegmentedButton contrll and new FileType properties.

Also is now 64 bit on macOS. (Not Notarized, so you’ll have to Open it with a right-click the first time on Catalina)

More info: http://www.tempel.org/Arbed

Thanks!

Thank you.

:slight_smile:

And please: If Arbed won’t open a project file (especially if it’s in binary or xml format), let me know!

And include the project, if possible (I won’t look at the code and will delete it afterwards). Or save it, from the IDE, in XML format and then use a text editor to remove the code lines, e.g. by using BBEdit’s “Process Lines Containing”, deleting all lines containing “”. Then send me that stripped project.

I don’t notice the issues myself as I don’t use the latest Xojo versions regularly, and especially won’t use any newer features that might cause such problems.

I hope Xojo Inc. appreciates this editor as an alternative to theirs.
It’s great for batch editing or repairing broken project files.

I’ve now uploaded v1.9.2:

1.9.1 did fix Saving and running on Windows

1.9.2 fixes several Scripting issues, also adding new scripting features such as the output going into a second textfield in the editor’s window (but you can still force the output into a new window, see http://www.tempel.org/Arbed/Scripting).

[quote=493992:@Christian Schmitz]I hope Xojo Inc. appreciates this editor as an alternative to theirs.
It’s great for batch editing or repairing broken project files.[/quote]
BBedit, text projects and regex

Arbed is context aware, i.e. you can replace text only in or outside of strings, for instance, across multiple projects. And the scripting features can be applied over many projects via Arbed’s command line interface.

For instance, Christian uses that to update his many demo projects, and also to generate the code listings on his website.

[quote=493964:@Thomas Tempelmann]Arbed, the project comparison and merging tool for REAL Studio and Xojo projects, has been updated for Xojo 2019r2’s new SegmentedButton contrll and new FileType properties.

Also is now 64 bit on macOS. (Not Notarized, so you’ll have to Open it with a right-click the first time on Catalina)

More info: http://www.tempel.org/Arbed[/quote]

Is there a version of Arbed for Linux?

Wes, there could be, if there was interest :slight_smile:

So, you want one? 32 bit or 64 bit? Care to test it for me and let me know what’s not working? I currently don’t have time for that myself, so I’d blindly build the app and upload it, okay?

[quote=495894:@Thomas Tempelmann]Wes, there could be, if there was interest :slight_smile:

So, you want one? 32 bit or 64 bit? Care to test it for me and let me know what’s not working? I currently don’t have time for that myself, so I’d blindly build the app and upload it, okay?[/quote]

That would be great. FYI, I’m running Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit and Xojo 2019r3.1

Wes, I gave this a try, built it with 2019r3.1 (just like the Mac version) and ran it for a quick test in a Fedora 64 bit system.

It didn’t display some text fields, and gave reproducible nil object exceptions. I then tried to run it in Xojo’s (Remote) Debugger, which didn’t give me the NOE, but instead later the app randomly quit without any indication why.

So, this isn’t a simple fix, I’m sorry. Not sure I want to invest any more time in this as Xojo is an even bigger pain to use on Linux (as is Linux itself for me), and the UI is quite ugly anyway, as all the buttons are larger and thus do not fit into the windows since I have no extra code written to deal with that.

So, for now, there won’t be a Linux version of Arbed.

Thomas,

for the UI modGTK3

[quote=495922:@Thomas Tempelmann]…this isn’t a simple fix, I’m sorry. Not sure I want to invest any more time in this as Xojo is an even bigger pain to use on Linux (as is Linux itself for me), and the UI is quite ugly anyway, as all the buttons are larger and thus do not fit into the windows since I have no extra code written to deal with that.

So, for now, there won’t be a Linux version of Arbed.[/quote]

Sorry to hear that. But I understand your position. The suggestion by @brian franco is a good one though. It solves the Linux GUI presentation issues.

I suppose the Xojo project files are the same regarless the running OS; so, boot on Windows and fire Arbed and do what you want with the Linux project

Alright - after a long day of debugging lots of issue that were all caused by changes in Xojo, some of them bugs, others hard to find regressions, I have a somewhat working Linux version of Arbed now.

Caveat: Saving doesn’t work because the app can’t find “libcrypto”. I thought that should be available on any linux system, and that this used to work a few years ago. Sigh. But opening, comparing and even scripting should work. Let me know what else is not working.

It also uses modGTK3. But the main window looks quite bad in it, still, and if you resize the window, the controls at the top may vanish.

See the other post about release 1.9.3 coming in a few minutes.