Wednesday Xojo Hangout + Android Update Video

@Dana Brown will provide info about the Appity App Contest and @Paul Lefebvre will take Android questions about our latest Android demo video, which you can watch now:

https://youtu.be/0v_KvEUlY-Q

[h]Topic: Wednesday Xojo Hangout[/h]
Time: Jun 17, 2020 02:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87892836440

Meeting ID: 878 9283 6440

Add tablets developing and landscape examples as soon as possible too. Thx.

@Paul Lefebvre , @Travis Hill , it’s very nice to see the progress you both are making in realizing this platform. Way to go!

As far as I remember, there was once talk of Xojo not planning to offer a tablet mode for Android. Correct me if I’m wrong

This starts in 1 minute!

I wasn’t aware. That makes me a non target user. :smiley:

We just have to wait for them to present it to us. Paul and Travis seem to be making really good progress, and in view of the fact that Android and iOS will later be merged into a single project type (you can already tell by the class name “Mobile…”) and iOS will support iPads, it seems obvious that they will also introduce a tablet mode for Android.

The initial Android release will not have any specific support for tablets.

Landscape support is available, although not demoed in the video. You can set a View to allow rotation, be fixed in Portrait or fixed in Landscape.

But not specifically deny it either? Suggesting that the *.apk will with whatever size rules are in place for the UI?

Unlike Rick, my current clientele for tablets is the exact opposite: iPadOS only

First world problems…

Designing in a tablet layout (large format) in landscape mode is a must. Having a design switch landscape/portrait to see at design time de controls accommodation/placement is also great. Maybe a R2 feature…

[quote=492672:@Paul Lefebvre]@Dana Brown will provide info about the Appity App Contest and @Paul Lefebvre will take Android questions about our latest Android demo video, which you can watch now:
[/quote]

Hi @Paul Lefebvre

Looking the video, at 3:00 (FolderItem Saving and Loading Example), I have a question, is xojo going to allow adding custom properties to the App Manifest?? For example to customize the android:windowSoftInputMode of the Activity (xojo “MobileView”)

Also, MobileView? Is that the final name? In Android a “View”, is the base class for widgets (buttons, text fields, etc.).
And “Activity” is the class that takes care of creating a window in which you can place your UI (views).

So, It will be confusing to have those names mixed :expressionless: for anyone who had some android background or even do a search for references in android documentation.

[quote=493973:@Ivan Tellez]Also, MobileView? Is that the final name? In Android a “View”, is the base class for widgets (buttons, text fields, etc.).
And “Activity” is the class that takes care of creating a window in which you can place your UI (views).[/quote]
i like the name control and window in case that app development in future is device/hardware/os neutral and have it own ui.
(embarcadero do this with FMX)

It is certainly possible, but we haven’t decided yet. I’ve added this to the project tracker for discussion.

[quote=493973:@Ivan Tellez]Also, MobileView? Is that the final name? In Android a “View”, is the base class for widgets (buttons, text fields, etc.).
And “Activity” is the class that takes care of creating a window in which you can place your UI (views).[/quote]
We went with View for familiarity with Xojo iOS projects, but nothing is final yet since Android is still in development. I’ve added your concern to the project tracker.

[quote=494008:@Paul Lefebvre]
We went with View for familiarity with Xojo iOS projects, but nothing is final yet since Android is still in development. I’ve added your concern to the project tracker.[/quote]

Is-there/what-is the current plan to combine Android/iOS into a universal “MobileApp” project type. I like more universal names personally

“MobileWindow” or “MobilePage” for example.

there was my idea to create alias names for classes and method names
Window Alias Activity
so this
var w as new Window
can also be written as
var a as new Activity

Array.AddRow Alias Array.Add
.LastRowIndex Alias .Last

We have previously said they we eventually want Android and iOS to be a single “Mobile” project type and we are trying to keep designs compatible with that goal, but this won’t be the case right out the gate.