Windows build created on a Mac will not open on Windows

This is a long standing WebApp that has been running no problem on Windows thru several revisions. I have a new version but after putting it on the windows machine when double clicking it, it opens then immediately quits. The prior version continues to run fine. The revision added a button and a new container. Nothing else has changed except that it is being built with a later version of Xojo than the previous version was built in.

Xojo 3.1
Windows Server 2008 R2
WebApp is 64bit

Any ideas.

Standalone or cgi ?
You says 'the prior version continues to run fine’, is this prior version running when starting the new one ?
Don’t you have a port issue ?

Most of my cgi apps are checking for the presence of myapp.cgi file, I’m deleting this file to stop myapp.
When I moved from cgi to standalone I, my app was having the same problem, as the myapp.cgi didn’t exists anymore.

Standalone.

I am sure that the older version is not runniint.

I am pretty sure that both are using port 80 In the IDE 80 is set for the Build. I never change the build settings so I’m pretty confident. Is there a way to check what port the older version is using?

I tried opening the new version on another computer in windows vm on my developent platfor with the same result.

If I build for mac It does not work either. On my mac the old version terninal window reads as expected…

[quote]Last login: Tue Jun 2 16:47:54 on ttys000
MacBook-Pro-3:~ johnbdh2$ /Users/johnbdh2/programming/QMC/QDGDoces\ Versions/QDGDocs\ v118.1LTS/WebFolder/xojo/QMCDocs ; exit;[/quote]

The new version opens the terminal window but reads like this…

[quote]Last login: Tue Jun 2 16:51:32 on ttys000
MacBook-Pro-3:~ johnbdh2$ /Users/johnbdh2/programming/QMC/QDGDoces\ Versions/QDGDocs\ v118.1LTS/WebFolder/xojo/newBuildWindows/QMCDocs ; exit;
logout
Saving session…
…copying shared history…
…saving history…truncating history files…
…completed.
[/quote]

Another thing I tried was to comment out all code in the apps open event… no joy.

Not sure that helps at all. I don’t know where to start on this one. Anyone know what would typically cause a webapp to log in and immediately log out like the?

So, this is not a Windows related error…

This may be a silly question, but have you run it in debug from the IDE? you should encounter the error and know exactly where the problem is.

The port is found under build shared settings.

Definitely not a windows related error.

Yes it works fine in debug mode. Would not have been able to make the new revisions unless it did.

As for the port, the sharing settings is what I am basing my confidence on that the old version is using port 80. I would nor have changed the build port since the old build was executed. My quesion was, how can I confirm this to be the case with the old build. Is there any way to determine the port the old build is using? I know what any new builds will be, but cannot be 100% sure what it is for a previous build unless ther is a way tro determines it on the older build itself.

You can specify the port when you launch your standalone app using the --Port or --SecurePort parameters, overriding the IDE settings.
This way you can try multiple ports. Doc here.

And combine with a check of the open ports:

netstat -ab

The simplest way, since you’re pretty sure it’s port 80, would be to connect to it with your browser. If it connects without having to specify a port, then it is indeed port 80.

I would verify the app isn’t getting killed by anti-virus that had an exception for the previous version but does not recognize your new one. Just one possibility.

I was having a similar issue, I could not run the web app under windows. I was scratching my head until I read your post. This solved my problem.

Ok I finally was able to determine that in fact the web app was listenting on port 8881. The suggestion to use netstat -ab did the trick. The old version was listed on my development Windows VM. Interestingly on the production PC the Web App was not listed. In any event changing the new version to listen on port 8881 resolved the issue.

Thaks for the suggestions/help to all.

John