Vertical Column

Been out of the coding world for a few years now due to personal reasons.

Looking to get back into it and have a question - I have seen a few macOS apps which have a vertical column (the width of the 3 traffic light buttons at the top left of the window), which runs down the window, and is a different colour to the rest of the window (including the title bar).

Is there a specific name for this, and is this possible to achieve natively in Xojo?

Thanks in advance.

I’m not exactly sure if I understand what you’re looking for, but does the discussion in this thread help?

https://forum.xojo.com/60130-vibrancy-like-windows

I think Richard is looking for a window sidebar like this (without necessarily being translucent, just that wide)

It’s a DIY stuff. When done like in Opera (and nothing on top, horizontally) it may be disturbing, but some already put buttons at the window button (I do), so, why not at le left ?

Is this better ? I do not know. Different ? Sure !

Different use:
In a bunch of applications, I set the Company Logo and address there (in a Pane at the window left, all window’s left). I loved that (when the window have only some Controls).

Tim - that is exactly what I was referring to. Is that possible natively in Xojo, or is that some kind of Xcode only style.
I don’t have a macOS system yet, So I’m not sure if it is even achievable in Xojo?

Im wondering how the vertical column (sidebar) has a different colour title bar area to the rest of the window??.

Thanks.

People love GUI standards. That’s why we have so many of them.

my examble - old code found in the forum

https://www.dropbox.com/s/069a3j8ye85x1as/Anzeigeleistegross.xojo_binary_project?dl=1

[quote=489412:@Richard Summers]Tim - that is exactly what I was referring to. Is that possible natively in Xojo, or is that some kind of Xcode only style.
I don’t have a macOS system yet, So I’m not sure if it is even achievable in Xojo?

Im wondering how the vertical column (sidebar) has a different colour title bar area to the rest of the window??.

Thanks.[/quote]
Probably the easiest way is to create a containercontrol and lay a canvas on it locked to all sides. Then give the canvas a background color.

Danke sehr, Rudolf.
Das projekt datei werde Ich ausprobieren.

[quote=489412:@Richard Summers]Tim - that is exactly what I was referring to. Is that possible natively in Xojo, or is that some kind of Xcode only style.
I don’t have a macOS system yet, So I’m not sure if it is even achievable in Xojo?[/quote]
I’d seen an example where someone had used a declare to turn off the title bar, and then drew their own sidebar in Paint. You could do similarly and re-draw a title bar starting at your desired position as well. There’s probably a system API to do better, but that’s at least achievable within Xojo.