Update app on Mac and Windows

Hello everyone, I hope you’re all staying safe.

I’ve been looking into ways of updating a Xojo Desktop app in both Windows and on MacOS.

There are a few forum posts that talk about MBS products, Sparkle etc but nothing much that is up to date.

How are people managing their app updates and as a sub question how are they managing database schema changes on update too?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Kaju ?

With all the security issues, I find it easiest to simply pop a notification that there is a new version. I don’t spend time on automatic download tools, as the ever changing security continues to make those more and more difficult to implement.

For database updates I use the DBUpdates module method that is offered by ARGen. It boils down to a version table that tracks the current version of the database schema, and an updater method that checks the version and applies incremental updates. This allows a user to jump several app versions without an issue. I believe you can get the DBUpdates module from the ARGen demo.

[quote=481932:@Tim Parnell]With all the security issues, I find it easiest to simply pop a notification that there is a new version. I don’t spend time on automatic download tools, as the ever changing security continues to make those more and more difficult to implement.

For database updates I use the DBUpdates module method that is offered by ARGen. It boils down to a version table that tracks the current version of the database schema, and an updater method that checks the version and applies incremental updates. This allows a user to jump several app versions without an issue. I believe you can get the DBUpdates module from the ARGen demo.[/quote]

Thanks Tim, I already own an ARGen licence so will check it out. I don’t actually use it at the moment as it’s not API 2 but Bob has said he’s selling it so hopefully the next buyer will keep it updated.

The Sparkle stuff this works fine for years.

Just try the examples or get our Updater Kit.