Question - real device and iOS13.4

Most of you know I don’t use Xojo for iOS projects… but here is something I ran across today, and wondered if it affected Xojo as well

I currently use Xcode 11.3.1 which supports up to iOS 13.3
Today I tried to download a project onto my iPhone which I had done successfully many times… but the other day I updated it to iOS13.4

Now Xcode says it can find the support files for iOS13.4… meaning I HAVE to update to Catalina and Xcode 11.4

Does an Xojo deployment to an iOS13.4 device (coming from Mojave) have the same issue? if not, why not?

I regularly have the same warning when I update iOS on my iPhone but don’t update xcode.

But that doesn’t prevent in any way the installation of an app through Xcode.
Are you just concerned about the message or does it prevent you from installing apps?

BTW, I haven’t updated to Catalina either.

Not quite
Ive got round this kind of thing in the past by duplicating the support files for an earlier build

Try duplicating
Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/13.3
as
Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/13.3

I regularly have to do the opposite of what Jeff mentioned. Instead of duplicating support for older iOS versions to newer XCode, I first try to find the device support files online (they are very small to download). And then if I can’t, I will download a newer XCode and install elsewhere. Then show its contents, and drill down the path Jeff mentions and copy the device support files to my older XCode version.

You do NOT have to upgrade to Catalina and XCode 11.4 – or at least in the past I’ve not needed to actually run newer XCode versions. Just extract the device support files from a newer XCode.

[quote=481645:@Jeremie Leroy]But that doesn’t prevent in any way the installation of an app through Xcode.
Are you just concerned about the message or does it prevent you from installing apps?[/quote]

I suspect what he is talking about is being prevented from running debug mode against a physical device running a newer iOS point release than the current XCode device support files recognize.

You can still use simulators with compatible iOS levels and deploy compiled apps to devices. What you can’t do is attach a physical device with an iOS point release it does not recognize. I get around that by finding the new device support files – downloading a new XCode if necessary – then copying those device support files to the XCode version I still want to use.

The simulators only go as high as 13.3
the message I get is

Could not locate device support files.
This iPhone7 (model .....) is running iOS13.4 which may not be
supported by this version of Xcode.  An updated version of Xcode
may be found on the app store

There is a [Cancel Running] button and a spinning wheel

In order to update to the next version of Xcode requires updating to Catalina as well

Attempting to duplicate the folder as Jeff suggested (and renaming 13.4) resulted in

I have the latest Xcode installed on a test machine, I will try to borrow its copy and see what happens

WOO HOO!!!

I copied the 13.4 folder from the guts of the latest Xcode on my test machine into the guts of the current Mojave Xcode…
rebooted… AND IT WORKED!!! I was able to load my app onto my iOS13.4 iPhone 7!!!

THANKS

[quote=481704:@Dave S]Attempting to duplicate the folder as Jeff suggested (and renaming 13.4) resulted in

I have the latest Xcode installed on a test machine, I will try to borrow its copy and see what happens[/quote]

Sorry, been on phone calls. But what I was trying to say is you need the proper device support files for the iOS point release and build on the physical device. You can’t simply rename another folder. But in my experience you can copy the needed support folder from another source (such as a VM with a newer XCode).

Glad you got it working.