Hard crash on random Windows machines

This happens on random Windows systems ranging from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (though majority seem to be Windows 7 and Windows 8). The user opens a certain window on the app that contains a list box, webkit html viewer and Xojo.Net.HTTPSocket - then the app does a hard crash and closes. I have never been able to reproduce it but it is definitely happening to a subset of users. Users will try the app on another computer and often times it will work. I’ve seen a few related posts on this forum but still can’t figure out what the heck is going on. Any ideas?

Faulting application name: MyApp.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time
stamp: 0x5dd2bb25

Faulting module name: XojoGUIFramework32.DLL, version: 19.2.0.46934,
time stamp: 0x5dd2be16

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0003ee6f

Faulting process id: 0x2998

Faulting application start time: 0x01d5db76c1cc49a2

Faulting application path: C:\MyApp\MyApp.exe

Faulting module path: C:\MyApp\MyApp
Libs\XojoGUIFramework32.DLL

Report Id: 1a51df7f-e6ca-4fa2-9223-f4cc9b6151e9

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: MyApp.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time
stamp: 0x5dd2bb25

Faulting module name: XojoGUIFramework32.DLL, version: 19.2.0.46934,
time stamp: 0x5dd2be16

Exception code: 0xc000041d

Fault offset: 0x0003ee6f

Faulting process id: 0x2998

Faulting application start time: 0x01d5db76c1cc49a2

Faulting application path: C:\MyApp\MyApp.exe

Faulting module path: C:\MyApp\MyApp
Libs\XojoGUIFramework32.DLL

Report Id: 530c8dcf-6240-4c43-a213-38c39b0a744d

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Or any idea what this crash log is saying? I know its a crash in XojoGUIFramework32.DLL but beyond that I don’t understand what it’s saying…

Just a few things off the top of my head:

• Is it repeatable on the same hardware over and over every time?
  • Do you have any declares in your project?
  • Have you tried providing a 64bit build and seeing if the problem continues?
  • Have you tried a 2019r3.1 build rather than a 2019r2.1 build?
  • Have you put any logging into the app so you can see where its getting to in the flow of the code?
  • Do you have any hardware specs of the machines its failing on? i.e. laptops or machines with an integrated gpu, or machines with two gpus (one on a card and one integrated)?
  • Failing all that, see if you can talk your user through providing you with a minidump from the crash, open a private feedback ticket with xojo and send it in, maybe they can figure out where/why its happening.

So I found the issue was related to this thread:
https://forum.xojo.com/53284-help-with-odd-windows-crash/0

I was able to resolve the issue by turning off the header for the listbox. Not ideal but it fixes the issue. Hopefully this bug can be fixed in the framework.

I’m glad you got to the bottom of it. Interesting that the bug still exists as it was marked as fixed in a previous version to the one you’re using. Could you post the Column Widths string you’re using a long with the number of columns and width of listbox so I can try and replicate it in a text project for Xojo?

On Macs, I found crash reports to be really more helpful than on Windows. On the former, you get named modules, functions, etc. while on the latter, you only get hex values that look to be addresses of the current state of memory (good luck in figuring out what calls were at these addresses…).
Any reason Windows can’t make useful reports?
(I’m actually angry about that fact, as it makes me thinking they don’t even care about being helpful)

[quote=481640:@Arnaud Nicolet]On Macs, I found crash reports to be really more helpful than on Windows. On the former, you get named modules, functions, etc. while on the latter, you only get hex values that look to be addresses of the current state of memory (good luck in figuring out what calls were at these addresses…).
Any reason Windows can’t make useful reports?
(I’m actually angry about that fact, as it makes me thinking they don’t even care about being helpful)[/quote]
The crash reporter is part of the operating system so I don’t think this is Xojo’s fault.
We have had to battle with this kind of problem several times over the years and it is really frustrating.
Maybe if Xojo could provide a version of the framework with debug symbols it might make it easier to track things down using MS development tools but a Xojo employee (such as William) would have to comment further.

Yes, I never actually said it was the fault of Xojo. Just compared both systems and, since years ago, I can’t understand why Windows can’t achieve such a useful report as the Mac does.

So this implies Xojo has a version that includes debug symbols for the Mac builds but not for the Windows ones. If true, Xojo is indeed part of the difference.
Thanks.

[quote=481652:@Arnaud Nicolet]
So this implies Xojo has a version that includes debug symbols for the Mac builds but not for the Windows ones. If true, Xojo is indeed part of the difference.
Thanks.[/quote]
It would be good if there was a way to build for MS-Windows that included some kind of debug symbols as it might help users to track down issues like this. Why don’t you log an enhancement in feedback?

NOTE. My point re> the Xojo framework was misleading as the macOS Xojo framework doesn’t contain debug symbols. The symbols you see are the macOS frameworks & the symbols the Xojo compiler has added for your code.

Number of columns:

Width string:

Initial listbox width is 583 x 524 and it is locked in all 4 corners and the window is resizable. But the crash would happen instantaneous so I don’t think any resizing was involved.