Does URLConnection work or not?

Short version:

I’m using Xojo2019r1.1 on Mac and Xojo2019r1 on Windows. Does URLConnection work, or not?

Long version:

For as long as it’s been possible, all of my apps have used HTTPSecureSocket to connect to my website for authorisation, update checking, bug reporting, etc. That worked fine until about two weeks ago, when for no apparent reason all the connections started getting rejected. Users could no longer authorise, etc. So I talked with the hosting service about the problem. They guessed that some protocol was probably being sent that is no longer supported. I read that URLConnection is a “modern replacement” for HTTPSecureSocket, so I’m ready to fritter away my life replacing everything. Looking over the forum about this class, I see lots of complaints that it doesn’t work. I’m using Xojo2019r1.1 on Mac and Xojo2019r1 on Windows. Does URLConnection work, or not?

URLConnection should work, but if you want to try to continue using the old socket, try changing the ConnectionType to SSLv23. While badly named, it is actually the mode which negotiates the best connection, starting from the best it can do and working downward. In my experience this usually works as a quick patch.

As usual: post your code and your errors. Was something at your website updated?

I’m using Xojo 2019r3 with HTTPSecureSocket for Kaju for instance. Make a simple example out of your code and test that with URLConnection.

Thanks for the tip. That solved it, for now. It also explains why one of my apps did not show a problem when all the others began choking (I forgot to mention this). At some point I see now that I had changed the connection type only in that one app to SSLv23.