Is there anyone who packages Mac and Windows apps?

I have an application I need packaged for windows and mac. Is there anyone who does this?

Please be more specific. Every macOS developer uses some “package”: zip, dmg, pkg.

For macOS, you should definitely try AppWrapper which integrates nicely into Xojo‘s Build routine and which can trigger DMGCanvas or simply create a codesigned and notarized zip file.
Windows needs a bit more manual configuration for tools like Innosetup/Installer. ExeWrapper is a great tool to codesign Windows apps from macOS.
You should find lots of information when you search for these terms here.

In one sense, most of us. All of us who sell our output.

There are free install packagers for Windows.
On Mac , you can just zip up the app.

BUT:
You wont really be able to sell the stuff unless it is code signed. (Internal apps will probably be fine)

There are many hoops to jump through to get to the code signing stage, and many posts on the steps you need to follow to get there.
if you are asking someone to use their own code signing certs and packagers to get your apps packaged, I guess somebody MIGHT do that , but it represents a small risk: they are effectively saying they ‘take responsibility’ for what your app gets up to, if you ship it and it turns out to be anti-social.

I am not interested in getting this app on any store, it is for my users to download to their computers, for use on a specific website.

Getting it ‘signed’ is just for the app stores, no?

Nope - a signed app is important for both macOS’ Gatekeeper and Windows non-popular app warning.

I use App Wrapper / DMGCanvas for macOS and InnoSetup for Windows. For Linux, I use a tarball that was created with the big -P option so that things are installed into their proper location when extracted - works on ALL distros instead of battling with Pacman / RPM / DPkg.

@Tim Jones Is this something that someone with those apps can do for someone else?

Signing?
You will need to purchase signing certificates for mac and Windows

I distribute my app for free from my website, but for macOS it still needs to be code-signed and notarised. appWrapper takes care of all this and I distribute a .dmg. For Windows I just zip up the .exe and its support files and the users can then download that.

For macOS you have to sign up as a developer, costs $100/year IIRC. Then you need to download two certificates, not sure why you need more than one, but it felt like there were two sites you had to go to to get the certs. I recall wasting a lot of time poking around one site looking for the cert that I needed to get from the other site. At least the certs seem to be valid for 5 years.

So just giving the people the app is out of the question, I need to get certificates also.

almost not worth it.

For Mac you can check out Mac signing

For windows there are many authorities to purchase from but I buy from K software

Yes I understand that is is confusing and that it cost money, that is just the world we live in now and anyone distributing software has to prove their identity to those using the software.

[quote=480150:@Bill Marcy]So just giving the people the app is out of the question, I need to get certificates also.

almost not worth it.[/quote]
On Windows you can, but the end user will get warnings basically telling them that the software is unsafe

If you are developing in a modern space, you really need to come to grips with all of this. If you are just distributing to friends, they probably have already decided that your code is trust-worthy. However, if you’re letting others download your app package, they may be frightened off by the dire warnings that macOS and Windows display when they try to install, run, or even just download your package.

And your users get a warning about unkonw app developer at each run time…

You dont NEED to do that.
But if you don’t, both Windows and Mac will do their damndest to block your software, and you must expect to spend a lot of time telling people how to ‘get around it’

Mac will quarantine/translocate your software, and refuse point blank to run it under Catalina.
Windows will flat out accuse you of trying to infect their computers with a virus.
Most virus checkers will stick the software straight in the bin.

You could distribute your apps unsigned. BUT as Jeff said, the system will do its best to discourage installing them.

Windows will flash a yellow warning in the center of the screen, telling the user the program may be dangerous. Then it will take confirming twice to launch the installer.

Mac will NOT open the app by simple double click. The user must Ctrl-Click, select Open, and confirm.

So, you will have to instruct the users how to properly launch the programs. You probably know that users never read the documentation. So they will call in or write in, complaining they got a warning, or that they could not launch…

It is just a new era in distribution. In the past we could just distribute and not worry about signing, today we must worry about it.
If you are only having family and close friends download and install your app then ok, that is one thing but anything more and you must sign your apps.

Well, I wouldn’t know about that. I have two VMs (virtual box) in which I run Win7 and Win10 for testing. I have some shared disk space so I can easily transfer the .exe to the Win7/Win10 environments for testing, so in doing that I’m probably circumventing whatever Windows mechanisms there are. When I double-click the .exe, under Win7 I get a panel up and must confirm, under Win10 I get nothing at all, the app just runs.

I suppose I could download the exe from my website from within Win10 and see what it has to say. But either way, what I have no intention of doing is investigating whatever the Win10 equivalent to code-signing and notarising is; it was enough of a pain under macOS.

[quote=480174:@Tim Streater]Well, I wouldn’t know about that. I have two VMs (virtual box) in which I run Win7 and Win10 for testing. I have some shared disk space so I can easily transfer the .exe to the Win7/Win10 environments for testing, so in doing that I’m probably circumventing whatever Windows mechanisms there are. When I double-click the .exe, under Win7 I get a panel up and must confirm, under Win10 I get nothing at all, the app just runs.

I suppose I could download the exe from my website from within Win10 and see what it has to say. But either way, what I have no intention of doing is investigating whatever the Win10 equivalent to code-signing and notarising is; it was enough of a pain under macOS.[/quote]
Not sure about how you are testing but If I download one of my exe’s from my website and install without being signed it get’s major warning signs and has the user click to “run anyway” despite the warnings
That if for Win 7, 8.1 and 10