MS will not evolve Visual Basic

This news was not that surprising as MS has not evolved VB for years, but this makes it official. Abandonment for the language.

https://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2020/03/12/vb-in-net-5.aspx

My hope would be that many of the other ex VBers would jump to Xojo. It would be a good place to have some links going back to the Xojo site, but there is competition from something called Mercury. "Codename “Mercury” is a BASIC language implementation that is backwards code-compatible with Microsoft Visual Basic.NET™ "

They don’t seem to be abandoning VB. Net. They simply state that they won’t modify the language anymore.

We are not so lucky, between the “New Framework” and now API 2.00, ever parting from the original language…

MS Visual Basic is now what we call “a dead language”
Within 10 years nobody talks about Visual Basic anymore.
.Net developers should work in C# and nothing else is my opinion.

I wonder it’s still alive… couple of years ago I’ve sorted out all my original Microsoft stuff from the 90ies and beginning 2K :wink:
It was a golden time but .NET broke my confidence first, followed by massive Windows Bugs and finally Windows Vista, which brought me 2008 straight to the Mac, the new iPhone and Realbasic of course :wink:

And now ? Aren’t we currently facing lot’s of problems with Mac too ? Remember the hardware keyboard issues. Isn’t Catalina a bit over the top and due to that more buggy than earlier versions which were a successtory ?
About the Windows history: the funny thing is that I skipped ME and Vista and 8 right away, it only took me one our to decide those days that I had to wait for the next version of Windows and let all the noise pass me by. .NET wasn’t my peace of cake since it was crap in the first three years. I just stayed with VB6. But now, like it or not, .NET is one of the biggest platforms we have and I am quite sure that I should have earned more money with it than I ever did and will do with Xojo. Actually, we, software developers and even end users, are just a lengthening of the whole evolutionaire proces, started in the mid 70’s.

I wonder how many pro developers are using VB. Net anymore. Old timers like me, perhaps. And yet, if Xojo had not been here, I would probably be using some incarnation of C.

I got a phone call from a head searching person who was asking about .Net developer not later than yesterday.

It will be time (as usual, tell that inertia) until people goes away from this software…

today, if you know how to program and maintain an AS400, you can make big $$$$
even if the product is out of sell for so many years…

I forgot: I saw each now and then a Cobol programming wanted add…

Isn’t Visual Basic dead since… ages ? (wikipedia)
then followed by Visual Studio ?

also:

During the Connect(); 2015 developer event on 18 November 2015, Microsoft announced that the service was rebranded as "Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)".[

Simple searches @ wikipedia…

[quote=479093:@Jean-Yves Pochez]today, if you know how to program and maintain an AS400, you can make big $$$$
even if the product is out of sell for so many years…[/quote]

While IBM stopped selling the “AS/400” many years ago, they started selling the “iSeries” then the “IBM i”. Hardware wise very different different from the AS/400 and predecessors, but still software compatible. And therein lies a crucial factor. Many enterprises have a huge investment in software that literally spans decades of development, and newer IBM i hardware is cheap and fast compared to iSeries or AS/400 or S/3x hardware.

There are still shops installing brand new IBM i models – I personally know of one who has a new install scheduled just a few weeks from now.

Emile: And while there is a COBOL compiler available, relatively few shops used it unless they started with IBM mainframe instead of midrange equipment. Mostly it was done in variants of a language IBM first invented in the '60’s for use with card-punch based systems – Report Program Generator (aka RPG) – but the modern variants used in current IBM i models have little resemblance to the original language.

We Xojo people still love to talk about the past. Those were times, things from your early years will last with you all your life. Our young developers will talk the same way in 30 years. How ugly .NET, Javascript, Xojo etc were and you had to think about the code yourself, which nobody will do in 2050 anymore.

Ahem… .Net is a framework, not a language…

Who cares ? If you do not know it, you will not get the job. :wink:

Now, keep yourself home (as Prime Minister said minutes ago !)

Mandela Effect! I thought VB had been dead for years.

Classic VB has been dead for years but not VB(dot)NET, well not until recently :wink:

I bet they will keep VB. Net in VS until the end of times, though. Sacro-saint backward compatibility…

C is still around :slight_smile:

[quote=479081:@Joost Rongen]MS Visual Basic is now what we call “a dead language”
Within 10 years nobody talks about Visual Basic anymore.
.Net developers should work in C# and nothing else is my opinion.[/quote]
It may be dying, but as someone who has a lot of years in both, for me VB.NET is easier to read, less verbose, and has things that C# just doesn’t have. I’ll take VB.NET anytime over C#. However, I am quite comfortable with either. I do not know of any advantages of C# over VB.NET, but there are for VB.NET over C#.

I have always felt that C# was somehow the cross breed of ANSI C and VB :smiley: