MS will not evolve Visual Basic

1. ‹ Older
  2. 3 weeks ago

Anthony M

Mar 16 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Andy B Yawn. Yet another "cross-platform" solution without a GUI editor. The issue isn't that we don't want to learn a new language, it's that there's only 1 functional cross-platform IDE with a GUI editor.

Eh...that’s not exactly true. Lazarus is a very functional cross-platform IDE with a very robust GUI editor. Granted, it is pascal which isn’t most people’s first choice for a language but having re-written several of my C# applications in free-pascal on my Mac using Lazarus I can tell you that the extensibility of that GUI editor rivals Microsoft’s VS GUI editor and surpasses most others. It has its quirks for sure but it definitely fits the bill for “functional cross-platform with a GUI editor”

3. Norman P

Mar 16 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro outside enjoying the fresh air

I gave up on lazarus (as I think Bob did)
    never installed correctly
    and really never worked at all
    despite MANY attempts

4. Tomas J

Mar 17 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany)
    Edited 3 weeks ago

there is another VB Clone esp in Linux enviroments: Gambas
    IMHO: Good for learning how to develop, but not suitable for professional software developing

5. Andy B

Mar 17 Airdrie, AB, Canada

I tried very hard to get Lazarus to work. It was a mess, never got it to work, so I moved on. Pascal was no big deal as I grew up on TurboPascal.
    I guess I do have to concede though that it is an IDE, it is cross-platform and it probably can create GUIs.

6. Edited 2 weeks ago

Visual Basic is not dead:

<link removed by moderator>

"Of course Mercury will also integrate into Visual Studio™ 2017 or 2019."

7. Jay M

Mar 17 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Austin TX

@Michel B We are not so lucky, between the "New Framework" and now API 2.00, ever parting from the original language

We too could use a dead language!

8. James D

Mar 17 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Switzerland)

@Norman P I gave up on lazarus (as I think Bob did)
    never installed correctly
    and really never worked at all
    despite MANY attempts

Yes the same here... I started out in college with Turbo Pascal 4.0 and then professionally with TP, TPW and finally with Delphi up to version 7. So the motivation was there, but I just couldn’t get it all up and running.

9. Norman P

Mar 17 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro outside enjoying the fresh air
    Edited 2 weeks ago

@Marc vBreemen Visual Basic is not dead:

<link removed by moderator>

"Of course Mercury will also integrate into Visual Studio™ 2017 or 2019."

"Mercury"
    Codename "Mercury" is a BASIC language implementation that is backwards code-compatible with Microsoft Visual Basic.NET™

It might as well be APL for a lot of VBers who really want VB6 not VB.Net

10. Norman P

Mar 17 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro outside enjoying the fresh air

@James D So the motivation was there, but I just couldn’t get it all up and running.

Mostly the same
    The spirit was willing but ......

11. 2 weeks ago

Hans-Jürgen M

Mar 18 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany)

Embarcadero offers a RAD for Windows, Mac OS, iOS and Android. The languages are Delphi and C++.
    I didn't checked it out, but i know several companies in Germany that use it for their professional standard software (ERP, Finance etc.).

12. Markus R

Mar 18 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe / Germany / Lower Saxon...

@Hans-Jürgen&nbsp;Müller Embarcadero

very expensive licenses .. for client/server it need Enterprise edition.
    in advertising it can all. rapid development is not true.

13. Norman P

Mar 18 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro outside enjoying the fresh air
    Edited 2 weeks ago

I've spoken with them extensively over the past few weeks
    The IDE is written in delphi (yay!) but it does not use their cross platform framework (boo) and it relies on MS compiler infrastructure so you'll never get a mac or linux IDE (boo)

And the x-platform framework is not as capabale as the VCL (the non-cross platform framework)

so IF you're OK working only on Windows and cross compiling from Windows and testing the heck out of things on macOS and/or Linux then _maybe_ Delphi is for you

And it is significantly more expensive than Xojo

14. Hans-Jürgen M

Mar 18 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany)

As i mentioned: i didn't checked it. But i'm in contact with a company in Germany developing with Embarcardo, and their Products are well designed and stable. These product are under control from german law (General Ledger, Controlling, Tax) and certified.

Hey folks, this is not a recommendation - i mentioned it only for completion the list!

15. Norman P

Mar 18 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro outside enjoying the fresh air

Delphi is a well designed product itself
    I just wish I could use it on a mac or Linux as well
    If thats NOT a requirement for you I would certainly give it a look
    I think Bob did a review of it recently as well

16. Anthony C

Mar 18 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers, Third Party Store, Forum Moderators, MVP GraffitiSuite Developer

Please do not post links to competitor products. I've already removed a number of these, and further posting of these links may lead to the topic being locked.

17. Tomas J

Mar 19 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany)
    Edited 2 weeks ago

@Norman P

I second Norman. I have one more problem with this framework tough I cant tell if this is really framework related or rather based on the developers' side. 9 out of 10 Delphi programs I see in real live in software audits use EOL and outdated components. We're not talking about 5-6 years old 2014ish stuff, no we're talking about components made somewhere back in 2002 or 2003 and still used today. A good framework or developer toolchain should not allow this.

18. Andy B

Mar 19 Airdrie, AB, Canada

@Hans-Jürgen&nbsp;Müller Embarcadero offers a RAD for Windows, Mac OS, iOS and Android. The languages are Delphi and C++.
    I didn't checked it out, but i know several companies in Germany that use it for their professional standard software (ERP, Finance etc.).

Delphi doesn't have a MacOS IDE. It's almost as much of a mess as Lazarus, and very expensive.

19. Norman P

Mar 19 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro outside enjoying the fresh air

@Andy B Delphi doesn't have a MacOS IDE. It's almost as much of a mess as Lazarus, and very expensive.

@Norman P I've spoken with them extensively over the past few weeks
    The IDE is written in delphi (yay!) but it does not use their cross platform framework (boo) and it relies on MS compiler infrastructure so you'll never get a mac or linux IDE (boo)

unfortunately they said it would take 5 years to move from their current framework to the cross platform one :(
    sounded like they missed saying "and its just not worth it" although its hard to buy into "we can build x-patform apps" when they dont use their own x-platform framework to write their own tools
    It makes that statement somewhat hard to believe

In this regard Xojo seems to be largely alone in using their framework to build an x-platform toolset that can actually build their IDE across platforms just to prove the point

20. Edited 2 weeks ago

@Anthony C Please do not post links to competitor products. I've already removed a number of these, and further posting of these links may lead to the topic being locked.

Isn`t the whole thread about a competitor's product? :)

21. Anthony C

Mar 19 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers, Third Party Store, Forum Moderators, MVP GraffitiSuite Developer
    Edited 2 weeks ago

@Anthony C Please do not post links to competitor products.

I'm trying to allow it to run its course, rather than lock it.

or Sign Up to reply!