os_log

replaces asl logging and may explain why under newer systems some messages just do not show

see https://developer.apple.com/documentation/os/logging?language=objc

[quote]Unified logging is available in iOS 10.0 and later, macOS 10.12 and later, tvOS 10.0 and later, and watchOS 3.0 and later, and supersedes ASL (Apple System Logger) and the Syslog APIs. Historically, log messages were written to specific locations on disk, such as /etc/system.log. The unified logging system stores messages in memory and in a data store, rather than writing to text-based log files.
[/quote]

was looking to declare into this but there is a extern handle for an object I have no idea how to declare or set
maybe have to write a plugin to do this

I did some experimentation with this and seem to recall I filed a feature request.

Messages from the current log system do show up in the log; but they are only visible (afaik) in Console if they occur while Console is open. Otherwise you can use Terminal to browse the logs.

In the end I gave up; even when I was able to see my messages, there’s so much information that I simple don’t care about, like bugs in AppKit or what theme the window is using; I rolled my own logging system.

I will probably never understand what goes on inside Apple at the moment, there’s just so many changes that make it increasingly harder to make and debug Mac apps, it’s almost like they want people to give up.