FileMaker Pro switch to Xojo

Hi All, have been using FileMaker Pro for a number of years but finding the ongoing costs getting prohibitive and recently Xojo came across my radar. I had never heard of it until last week

22 years to come to your radar.

Welcome !

You used an emoji, so most of your text doesn’t show here:

Got a few questions about getting certain tasks done in a similar way to FM Pro, I have read numerous posts asking similar questions though not quite on my track.

[quote]1. What is the best database to use as the back end? From what I can conclude it is between MySQL and PostgreSQL. The MySQL licensing options seem a little murky for commercially distributed applications. My plan would be to release Apps (OS binaries or web based) which connect to a MySQL database on a server (such as a Linux VPS). Did I need to purchase MySQL for this db access method? I assume PostgreSQL does not have this restriction. However I have used MySQL in the past so the later db would be easier to implement.

1. As for the end user front end I make heavy use of dynamic portal filtering, searching & sorting. Is it possible to replicate this functionality via the Xojo programming language?

2. Can Xojo implement popovers (to show related records) in the way FM Pro does? I have made use of this technique to select single and multiple records for various tasks.

3. I also make use of Value Lists for such tasks as using check boxes for dynamic portal filtering. Can this be implemented in Xojo without to much fuss?

4. For web based solutions is Xojo suffice or is it better to use Web Dev Apps (such as RapidWeaver) to do the front end?

I am not afraid to learn a new programming language and very keen to adopt new tech. Would I need 3rd party plug-ins to implement some of what I want to do or can it be done with what comes as standard?

Any advice or comments on experiences would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers,
Paul[/quote]

And my answers:

1. Postgres is free to use. MySQL is kind of free as long as you don’t bundle it. Check what your client or provider provides to you.
  2. You can code all the functionality.
  3. You can at runtime place a ContainerControl on a window to show related data.
  4. You can implement this. But it’s all up to you to code it.
  5. Xojo is in Progress to rewrite the web engine. So check the current release and be surprised what they show at conference in Nashville in March.

[quote=476168:@Christian Schmitz]3. Can Xojo implement popovers (to show related records) in the way FM Pro does? I have made use of this technique to select single and multiple records for various tasks.
[/quote]
yes you can

@Jean-Yves Pochez : we still haven’t seen your code.

it’s not available :slight_smile:
just to answer that yes it is possible to do this like filemaker ( and IMO far better)

Thanks for all the feedback, will be sure to leave the emoji out in future posts!

If you edit this post and remove the emoji it should sort it.