Windows API Call - FindWindow Not Working

I can’t seem to figure out this damn problem. All I want to do is bring a 3rd-party application window to the foreground and no matter what I do, this call returns 0. I have an application that interacts with the Word application object and I need to bring a document to the foreground.

Thank you!

Declare Function FindWindow Lib “user32” Alias “FindWindowA” (strClassName As CString, strWindowName As CString) As Integer
Var nWinHandle As Integer = FindWindow(nil,“Document1 - Word”)
MessageBox(Str(nWinHandle))

It works for me if I change the call from FindWindowExA to FindWindowExW, and use the window title “Document 1 - Microsoft Word”.

@Andrew Lambert Unfortunately that didn’t work for me…still getting 0. The title in the window is “Document1 - Word” and no matter how I use FindWindow (including the way you described with FindWindowExW), I always get 0. Ugh.

Thank you for trying to help me.

Ahhhh…finally found a solution. Needed to specify the class for Word. This worked:

Declare Function FindWindow Lib “user32” Alias “FindWindowA” (strClassName As CString, strWindowName As CString) As Integer
Declare Function SetForegroundWindow Lib “user32” (hWnd As Integer) As Integer
Var nWinHandle As Integer = FindWindow(“opusapp”,“Document1 - Word”)
Call SetForegroundWindow(nWinHandle)

[quote=475914:@Aaron Schacht]Ahhhh…finally found a solution. Needed to specify the class for Word. This worked:

Declare Function SetForegroundWindow Lib “user32” (hWnd As Integer) As Integer
Var nWinHandle As Integer = FindWindow(“opusapp”,“Document1 - Word”)
Call SetForegroundWindow(nWinHandle)[/quote]
Just to clarify: if your app is meant to be used in other circumstances than the one you’re debugging to, hard-coding the document title would likely fail.
This could occur in these cases (at least):
•Your user has Office or its OS in a different language;
•The user has already saved the document;
•Another document has been opened/created;
•On Mac, all documents have been closed;
•Future/earlier versions of Office whose the default title is different than your expectation.

You may better enumerate available windows title and pick the one you want (in case it’s not what you already do).

@Arnaud Nicolet Thank you! Yes, this is something I have to consider! In this case I was keeping it as simple as possible…now I have to make it more reliable for the end user. If you have any sample code for enumerating through windows, that would be fantastic. Otherwise I can sift through Microsoft’s documentation.

Thanks!

~Aaron

[quote=476246:@Aaron Schacht]If you have any sample code for enumerating through windows, that would be fantastic. Otherwise I can sift through Microsoft’s documentation.

Thanks!

~Aaron[/quote]
You’re welcome.
Ok, so here’s some code I used for that purpose. Just note it was written in 2017 (but I expect it would still work); since then, I’m using the MBS plugin for enumerating the windows without the declares.

This code would bring a window to the foreground, given a passed name:

[code]Soft Declare Function FindWindowW Lib “user32.dll” (lpClassName As integer,lpWindowName As integer) as integer
Soft Declare Function GetWindow Lib “user32” (hWnd As integer,wCmd As integer) As integer
Soft Declare Function GetWindowTextW Lib “user32” (hWnd As integer,lpString As ptr,cch As integer) As integer
Soft Declare Sub ShowWindow Lib “User32” (wnd As Integer, nCmdShow As Integer)
Soft Declare Function SetForegroundWindow Lib “User32” (hWnd As Integer) As Integer

Dim ret As Integer
Dim mb as new MemoryBlock(255)
ret=FindWindowW(0,0)
While ret>0
if GetWindowTextW(ret,mb,mb.size)>0 then
if mb.WString(0)=“The window’s title” then
ShowWindow(ret,9)
Call SetForeGroundWindow(ret)
end if
end if
ret=GetWindow(ret,2)
Wend[/code]
Please let me know whether it works (I’m not on Windows right now).