iOS TextArea Text wraps if more than 5 tabs occur in a line

In a current project I decided to use a SharingPanel to allow the user to export a simple table. Since one can only share plain text, I’m inserting tabs between the columns of the table.

It seems that if you use more than 5 tabs in a line of text a hard linefeed gets inserted into the line. There are a couple of old unresolved cases from back in 2014 on Cocoa TextAreas that seem to be related that I’ve referenced in Feedback.

<https://xojo.com/issue/59193>

Update: If the line is shorter then it doesn’t wrap incorrectly after 5 tabs. So it’s some weird combination of things.

t = t + TAB + TAB + TAB + TAB + TAB + TAB + "F: "

No, it is by design as it is in a Desktop (application) TextArea: a default rule. (take rule as it is in a Word Processor).

If you run macOS, fire TextEdit and count how many tabs in a Styled document… Doh ! Same number, same location !

how big was your Textarea (width) and what was the exact text you entered?

Note : I tested this in SWIFT… and it DID THE SAME THING… even when there was in fact room left on the line

[quote=475555:@Dave S]how big was your Textarea (width) and what was the exact text you entered?

Note : I tested this in SWIFT… and it DID THE SAME THING… even when there was in fact room left on the line[/quote]
Visually, the text area in the app is about twice as wide as the line of text.

That’s a bummer that it also does this in Swift. May mean Xojo has no control over this.

that was actually why I tested it there… if Swift does it, the its in iOS and not much Xojo could do

Voodoo…

The screen shot below comes from a August 2014 demo project who use rtf as help files:

Between the numbers are tabs…

and here is the rtf code (extract from the loaded rtf file):

\\pard\\tx548\\tx1145\\tx1682\\tx2281\\tx2806\\tx3428\\tx3942\\tx4556\\tx5138\\tx5680\\tx6253\\tx6770\\tx7387\\tx7899\\tx8493\\tx9073\\tx9641\\tx10217\\pardirnatural\\partightenfactor0 \\cf0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15\\

Edit:

not much Xojo could do
But the developer can do many things.

Maybe I’ve changed the default in TextEdit, but I get 12 tabs evenly spaced in a new document.

There is a reference to tabstops in Apple’s documentation, so maybe a Declare could define a different tab setup.

More information here: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/nsmutableparagraphstyle/1531988-tabstops?language=objc

LOL… Jeremie got to it before I did…
From what I can tell it has to do with default tabstop values in a UITextView

If someone will file a bug report, we just fixed this in text area on the desktop.

Hi Greg. Is the bug report in the first post above not sufficient?

That’ll do. I missed it.