A Newbie's 4Qs

Hi All,
I’m new to Xojo, with less than a week of hands-on experience, though in somewhat intensive doses. Making the leap, adopting it as I’m joining a dev team that swears by Xojo. Been practicing with a free version, with build limitations, until my official start.
I run Windows and Ubuntu (and CentOS on server); I’m in no way a Machead, unlike most Xojo devotees?

I’m absolutely lovin’ Xojo, and somewhat hatin’ it, too. Reason for the latter is related to ‘comfort’ and habits, of course, as well as limitations re design and in embedding other lang scripts. I’ve not yet come across any language and/or IDE that was all pros and no cons, and I can definitely see value in using Xojo.

4 Qs:

1. Any pitfalls to watch out for if coming from a strong HTML/CSS/JS and mostly php background (with much Ruby, Python, and R)?

2. I’ve really embraced the MVC pattern–makes such great sense, and with ease–yet I seem to be having a bit of difficulty transposing and/or adapting a Xojo-appropriate approach. I’m not used to a visual drag-and-drop approach and this style of code segmentation, and I’m thinking this may be the case. Common issue for those making such a change? Any tips?

3. Any ORM recommendations?

4. I’ve had more buggy behaviour and crashes than one would expect—the IDE, not my app—especially when I’m dealing with DB connectivity. Tried MySQL, PostgreSQL, and through ODBC I’ve also tried LocalDB and Firebird locally… ditto. SQLite works well, until I handle the DB through the IDE. Could it be related to using a “trial” version? Something I should be mindful of? I haven’t done anything that required delving into memory-related measures, as far as I know.

Much thanks in advance for any answer/support/help/cash you wish to offer. Cheers!
PDL

Nice, continue.

Care to explain what you mean ?
(or… what a strange idea…)

[quote=475106:@Emile Schwarz]Nice, continue.

Care to explain what you mean ?
(or… what a strange idea…)[/quote]

I think he means using the built in Xojo database manager which as well all know is pants…

Hi Emile,
LOL. Guess that could seem strange… Meant doing anything through the controls made available through the IDE, as shown in pic, after I insert an SQLite DB.

I found the controller in MVC not to be of much use for Xojo.

No, the IDE shouldn’t crash when you do database work. I mostly do Valentina and SQLite and have no crashes.

Xojo doesn’t have a good ORM. There is an ActiveRecord implementation at https://bkeeney.com/highlight/argen/ .

Re controller: Maybe that’s my problem… wanting it to be of much more use? :wink:

Thanks for the link, Beatrix. Will check it out.

[quote=475112:@Pascal-Denis Lussier]Hi Emile,
LOL. Guess that could seem strange… Meant doing anything through the controls made available through the IDE, as shown in pic, after I insert an SQLite DB.

[/quote]
don’t use the internal sql database editor. use any external sql editor but not the one in xojo. it’s buggy and not functionnal in many points … see https://forum.xojo.com/58454-status-of-internal-sqlite-editor

There is a conversation about the integrated…

…and in the end, you cannot use that inside your project, so do not use it and be back to what worked.

And if you have some trouble (why using the embeded editor ?), just ask.