Crash an application on NSException

1. 2 months ago

Sam R

Jan 31 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, Third Party Store Hengchun, Pingtung, Taiwan

Peter Steinberger on Twitter, just posted a quick tip that reverts the current behavior of silent failures under recent versions of macOS.

https://twitter.com/steipete/status/1223228727477272577

Use NSUserDefaults to set the value of "NSApplicationCrashOnExceptions" to true and your application will crash like it used to. Thus generating a crash report, showing you what went wrong and where. Opposed to silent failures, which are hard to find in console.

He also posted this one back in October 2019, but I didn't see it.
    https://twitter.com/steipete/status/1187770905767927809

2. 8 weeks ago

Scott C

Feb 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro twitter.com/ScottCadillac
    Edited 8 weeks ago

Given that I have an MBS license, I put the following into the Open event of my app:

#If TargetMacOS
      Var u As NSUserDefaultsMBS = NSUserDefaultsMBS.standardUserDefaults
      u.setBoolValue("NSApplicationCrashOnExceptions", True)
    #EndIf

This seemed to update the auto-created file located at /Users/scott/Library/Preferences/com.mycompany.myapp.plist which now looks like the following:
    -image-
    I guess as long as that entry is in the plist file, the OS takes care of the rest?

You always have the greatest pointers Sam, thanks again!

3. Sam R

Feb 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, Third Party Store Hengchun, Pingtung, Taiwan

@Scott Cadillac You always have the greatest pointers Sam, thanks again!

Glad I could help.

If you're on twitter; make sure you hit up @steipete and let him know it helped. I wouldn't have found this tip without him. I'd started trying to get into the depths of handling NSExceptions myself, simply so that I was aware when, where and what was happening.

4. Norman P

Feb 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro outside enjoying the fresh air

@Scott C Given ...

FYI - Scott
    You can just add to the apps plist at build time by creating a text file named info.plist and then dragging it into the project
    It lets you add key / value pairs to your build apps default plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist SYSTEM "file://localhost/System/Library/DTDs/PropertyList.dtd">
    <plist version="0.9">
    <dict>
        <key>NSApplicationCrashOnExceptions</key><true/>
    </dict>
    </plist>
  5. Tim J

Feb 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro N. Phoenix, AZ

Adding the Info.plist file for macOS apps is one of the best kept, documented secrets of Xojo :D

6. Norman P

Edited 8 weeks ago

http://docs.xojo.com/UserGuide:Using_a_plist

http://docs.xojo.com/Changes_2014r2
    and yer welcome :P

7. Scott C

Feb 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro twitter.com/ScottCadillac

@Norman P You can just add to the apps plist at build time by creating a text file named info.plist and then dragging it into the project

Thank you Norman for the link, I knew there was a mechanism for including a plist in a project, but hadn't had a chance to explore it much yet.

With some of the things I'd like to do, I know I'll have to dig into this further eventually.

8. Norman P

I smell a blog post .....

9. Sam R

Feb 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, Third Party Store Hengchun, Pingtung, Taiwan

@Norman P You can just add to the apps plist at build time by creating a text file named info.plist and then dragging it into the project

Does it work if added to the application plist?

The usage described by @steipete is to set it to the defaults. Sadly it's undocumented, so there's no official word from Apple on this.

10. Norman P

Now I'll have to try that and see if a per app setting like this works as expected as it would be different from the user defaults

11. Tim J

Feb 12 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro N. Phoenix, AZ

@Sam R Sadly it's undocumented, so there's no official word from Apple on this.

That just about sums development for Apple up in one sentence. >:(

or Sign Up to reply!