Is Xojo 2019 Release 3.1 safe to use?

I was following all the crazy discussions regarding the Framework 2.0 release, however, it got to be too much, so I dropped off. For those using Xojo for corporate production applications (all web based), do you feel the 3.1 is now safe to use? I do not have time to “fix” my applications that 2.0 might have broken, which has made me stay away from upgrading.

I don’t want this to be a flame war…simply a question from a programmer that needs a reliable product for the company I work with. :slight_smile:

If you are using classic API in your application then there are no changes (that I’m aware of) in 3.1 so it’s safe to use. And remember you do NOT have to upgrade to API 2.0. Depending on the size of your application and how you’ve implemented it it may not be worth upgrading. Classic API will be around a long time (forever?).

If you are already using API 2.0 then upgrading it a must since it fixes some awful bugs. I haven’t had a chance to test yet 3.1 in-depth yet but it fixes the most egregious memory leak issues when using Database API 2.0 classes.

I tried also to keep the autocompletion of old api and it seems to work.
so you can use api 1 or 2 in it with it seems no difference.
anyone using it more than me ? I’m still in r11 until I finish an actuel project.

I’m actually using 3.1 on a couple of projects (and have since beta) and not having any issues. The iOS GroupColor editor is a little wonky and slow but it works. No issues with Desktop apps (so far). Not tried any web apps.

Bob/Jean-Yves, I’m using 2019 1.1 as I’ve been concerned about upgrading my existing projects. A couple of them need a feature or two enhancements so I wanted to upgrade Xojo at the same time if it was safe.

As always… it depends on what you’re doing with it.

Oh - there are… We keep our productive applications in API 1 (for now, at least), too.
Then a big change (if you’re building for TargetMacOS) is that FolderItem has been rewritten completely (using different OS API in the Xojo Framework). Even in the last couple of days there have been reports about not everything working smoothly - especially when it comes to “non english” characters in File/Foldernames.
That’s why the answer for our main productive applications is: It’s too risky.
So again: it depends… for a WebApp for TargetLinux, things may be just fine (or even better with some things fixed meanwhile). For iOS it probably is a must. For Windows - not much has changed.

It never-ever is safe to change a Framework. It always involves a lot of testing of your application(s) - and dealing with differences in behavior.

Xojo 2019r3 is mostly safe to use. The differences with the folderitem were to be expected. As with every big Xojo change there are warts. The missing autocomplete for API 1 is a PITA.

It was a necessary chnage to deal with the OS api’s that were in use

I dont think i’d hold my breath about that returning any time as Xojo wants us to all move to API 2.0
It’s just hard with a large code base that has evolved over the last decade or more

I tried on an empty new project, and I can autocomplete a recordset or a rowset .?
did I miss something ?

for 99.9% of my work I’m still using 2019r1.1

Beatrix would have to expound on this for you

So, based on everyone’s comments, I think I’ll stick with 2019r1.1 for now as the latest updates do not seem to bring any meaningful improvements to my web applications. I’ll review this again once the Web 2.0 framework is released.

Thank you everyone!!

We use various versions. Currently 13 Xojo versions installed.

Use our QuickLook plugin to see which version is for which project.

And 2019r3.1 is fine. But moving a project from one to other version may require a few changes and some testing to verify everything still works.

Autocomplete doesn’t work for API 1. No recordset, no date, no beep.

@Robert Litchfield one of my blog posts in Nov is a list of differences I found between 2019 and r2/2.1

I suppose I should make a new list for the differences between 2019r1.1 and 2019r3.1

done on a fresh new project on xojo 2019r3.1

Further information: https://forum.xojo.com/58193-heads-up-with-api2-databasecolumn-value-slight-change-from-data

If you are using the API 2.0 database classes - don’t. We generally don’t do code like Feedback report 58934 has so I’d never come across it.

To update: 3.1 using classic API is safe. API 2.0 is still broken in regards to database classes in R3.1. This is simply unacceptable after 3 releases of API 2.0. Database code simply has to be rock solid.

Well, could we have a fast R3.2 release or we need to wait longer for a 2020R1?
R1.1 also have some glitches for Windows corrected in R3+

I’m experiencing the IDE reverting label text alignments back to left when I open a project. This had been fixed with a 3.1 Beta but was obviously taken back for the release.
Can of course be fixed by adding code to the open events, but why?!

We need full support for “classic mode”. It includes autocomplete and whatever while we do the transition and access to the classic help (just a copy of the R1.1). To force people to adopt API2.0, just release NEW features (new controls, web 2.0, etc) only enabled if you are not using the “use the classic mode” set in the options and a nagging screen at IDE first run like “Warning: you are using the old API 1.0 as default. Want to switch back to API 2.0? Y/N?”. One year or so later, things can go mandatory. Right now, API2.0 is not stable after 4 releases, and people need to do maintenance in old code for months to come and the new IDE is not helping.

FWIW, if you open an older project, the API 1 stuff still autocompletes and is still in the language reference. You just have to search for it.