YouTube example - how to find username?

I am following along with the YouTube example project. I made a YouTube profile years ago, and the one video I have on there does show up in the example project. However, I have a newer YouTube profile that I want to start using going forward. Where do I find the YouTube username to test this out? All I see in the settings of YT is a user ID and channel ID, which are both jumbled alpha-numeric messes, and these don’t work in the sample project. Any thoughts?

The YouTube example needs to be updated to work with channel ids and not usernames. Usernames are not available to everyone any longer, you must meet certain requirements to get one.

This post has some information: https://stackoverflow.com/a/29767352/6047977

Ah thanks Tim. Not sure I will want to try and fiddle with it on my own to get it to work. I was just looking for an alternate method of playing hosted videos in a desktop app. I’ve been storing the video files in an Amazon service and having users download them locally then playing in the app. But since some of them have said the videos don’t always play nicely or are concerned with disk space, I was seeking an alternative and found the YouTube example. I’ll keep looking around for another solution

It sounds like you’re very much in control of each step of the process. Why not just use YouTube links instead of Amazon ones? You’d be able to use YouTube but you wouldn’t need to implement any dynamic / smart loading system. If you load the embed iframe URL into the HTML Viewer it should act as if it’s a video player. I’m not sure about full screen features though.

That’s a good point. I’ll play around with that and see how it is. I’ve got ~60 videos, so it could get hectic, but we’ll see :slight_smile: Thanks for the tip!

I decided to go the YouTube route and it’s working like a charm on Mac. On Windows, I noticed it wouldn’t show the video at all, then I found this, which I added in the VideoScreen.Open event

[code]#If TargetWindows
// This code handles both 64 and 32-bit builds
Dim reg As New RegistryItem(“HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft”)
reg = reg.AddFolder(“Internet Explorer”)
reg = reg.AddFolder(“Main”)
reg = reg.AddFolder(“FeatureControl”)
reg = reg.AddFolder(“FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION”)

// Source MS documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/internet-explorer/ie-developer/general-info/ee330730(v=vs.85)
reg.Value(App.ExecutableFile.Name) = CType(11000 , Int32)
#Endif[/code]

This plays the video, however, it seems choppy on Windows, specifically if I move my mouse around on the screen or just randomly happens. Is there another trick to try to getting the videos to play better on Windows? Or is this as good as it’s going to get?

Have you tried the WebKit renderer instead? It might behave better than the native one on Windows. The setting has no effect on Mac so you don’t need to do anything special, just change the popup menu.

Hey Tim. Thanks for the suggestion. I’m having a hard time understanding WebKit. In the documentation, it states

But where do I find the plugins, and which one(s) are needed for video play? Then what? Do I need to call this somewhere in code, or will it automatically use the better IE engine?

Sorry for the questions, but this is a new topic for me

Nevermind I found it! Was a simple switch in the Inspector of the HTMLViewer! I was looking way too deep into it. Works much better on Windows. Thanks!