Break points on while statements don't work as expected:(

I’ve been bit by this one more than once because its just so wrong

Dim i As Integer = 10

While i > 0 // <<<< set a break point in the IDE on this line
  i = i - 1
Wend

break

now run and watch in amazement as you never hit your break point but do stop at the break statement

<https://xojo.com/issue/58204>

If, while, wend, do, loop until etc beaks won’t work.
They must be inside the statements as far as i know

I discovered that breakpoints on an Else line also don’t work. IMO, the IDE shouldn’t let you put a breakpoint on these lines.

[quote=472508:@Derk Jochems]If, while, wend, do, loop until etc beaks won’t work.
They must be inside the statements as far as i know[/quote]
not true
I use breakpoints on IF all the time

if 1 = 2 then  // << put a break point on this line and it will stop on it 
    break        // it will not stop here (of course)
end if

WHILE and DO loops are the only ones I see this occur on where they do not stop at the loop top
FOR works fine

[quote=472511:@Norman Palardy]
WHILE and DO loops are the only ones I see this occur on where they do not stop at the loop top
FOR works fine[/quote]
I thought I read somewhere that while loops are evaluated at the end and that was the difference to for loops. I think I’ve seen the debugger break on the wend when the breakpoint was on the while. But I’ve also seen breakpoints get completely missed, so I don’t disbelieve your results.

quite possibly

but if you imagine how the compiler treats your code its as if it inserts a “If BreakPointSet Then BreakOnNextStatement” all over the place where you could set a break point. This is one reason debug code should not be used for benchmarking speed related issues

In the case of a while this might turn into (its not really like this but you get the idea)

If BreakPointSet Then BreakOnNextStatement
While i > 0 
  i = i - 1

Wend

but the initial one is missing so you either set the breakpoitn on the first line inside the loop or just accept that while loops dont work as expected

neither is really nice

Back in the dark ages (not to be confused with Dark Mode or the Dark Side), I had a programming Professor that pounded into us “Never set a not-in-code breakpoint on a testing statement.” WHILE statements and the like are testing a condition so I won’t set a breakpoint there. He also included IF statements unless they were of the nature of if condition then break. WHILE statements fall into this category, as do ELSE, END IF, WEND, etc. I will often add an if TRUE then BREAK statement before entering a WHILE loop just so I know it will break there.

[quote=472511:@Norman Palardy]not true
I use breakpoints on IF all the time

if 1 = 2 then  // << put a break point on this line and it will stop on it 
    break        // it will not stop here (of course)
end if

FOR works fine[/quote]

Then the breakpoint is a bug. As i can remember @Greg O’Lone saying this on the forums some time ago. We had to change alot of break points.

I do see alot of FB cases about breakpoints being skipped etc none of them (can’t find any) are specific about before “IF”, “ELSE”, “WHILE”, “WEND” etc.

This worked once upon a time :frowning: