Remove outline/focus from inputfield

I’m trying to remove an outline/focus from the inputfield (blue border around it).

set UseFocusRing to false

seems the only option is “has border”

Blue border = Focus Ring, so Dave answer is the right answer to the question.

in 2019r3 AllowFocusRing have no effect at textedit, its still a blue border.
UseFocusRing was the older name for it.

Hi @Dmitri Gorbachov and welcome to the forum. As others have mentioned, if you’re using the latest version of Xojo, unchecking AllowFocusRing in the Inspector (the area to the right in the IDE) should remove the blue border from a TextField.

@Markus Rauch switching AllowFocusRing to off on a TextField should remove the blue border. Does it not do it for you?

My thoughts exactly but at two devices there is still a blue border around at windows 10 pro.

On Windows 10, Xojo 2019r3…

A textfield will show the blue focus ring when it has the focus regardless of the AllowFocusRing setting if the Has Border setting is True. If HasBorder is false, then neither the border nor the focus ring display. I consider this a bug. I don’t know if Mac systems work differently.

<https://xojo.com/issue/58863>

I am not sure it is a good idea to remove the focus ring from a TextField anyway. It is an important clue for the user that he can type into that field.

The same visual clue is used throughout all devices today, in Web apps or native.

It makes sense that it cannot be removed in Windows 10, where users often use primarily the keyboard and the tab key to go from one control to another.

agree 100%, should be just a freedom to show a own focus status.

[quote=471691:@Michel Bujardet]I am not sure it is a good idea to remove the focus ring from a TextField anyway. It is an important clue for the user that he can type into that field.

The same visual clue is used throughout all devices today, in Web apps or native.

It makes sense that it cannot be removed in Windows 10, where users often use primarily the keyboard and the tab key to go from one control to another.[/quote]
I actually agree with you and, personally, never set it to off. That said, the documentation does not reflect that. Plus, the field will still display the blinking cursor when it has the focus.

Interestingly, the text baseline is different if the field has or does not have a border. Without a border, the text baseline is a bit higher in the field.

Removing the focus ring and border do have practical applications, such as when building custom controls that are based on a text field like a search control and many others.

After stating my objections, BTW, to remove the focus ring of a TextField, simply set it’s super to TextArea.