Trouble notarizing an existing Mac app

Hi…I’m having trouble notarizing a mac app, and am hoping someone can help. Here’s the story…

I have a Mac 64-bit cocoa app, call it MyApp.app. It’s a 3rd party app (NOT a mac app store app). I’ve notarized it before, successfully, and the app is now out in the wild. I’ve just made an update to that app, and want to upload the newest version to my web site, but of course, I have to have this version of the same app notarized again.

The problem is, or so it seems, is that the same steps that I used to successfully notarize the app the first time are NOT working this time.

In the time between when I successfully notarized my app and now when I can’t, I upgraded my Mac from Mojave to Catalina 10.15.2, and I moved from using Xojo2019r1.1 to the latest Xojo2019r3 if that has anything to do with my problem.

I can still successfully code-sign my app, but when I get to the first step involving the “xcrun” command, I get an error. In Terminal, with the directory changed to the directory in which my app resides, I type, generically speaking, this:

xcrun altool -t osx -f “MyApp.app” –-primary-bundle-id com.mydomain.myappname --notarize-app -u me@mydomain.com -p abcd-abcd-abcd-abcd

…and I get this error:

2020-01-13 15:26:18.936 altool[66328:5028428] *** Error: Unable to upload your app for notarization. You must specify ‘–primary-bundle-id’.

Any idea why I’m getting this error. I DID specify the primary bundle ID, and it is correct, and the same bundle ID that I used in the previous version of MyApp. Typo? Cockpit error? Change in notarizing requirements?

Any clues appreciated! Thanks!

you have the wrong dash there. Seems like some text editing tool changed it from normal dash to long dash.

Thanks Christian. Yup, that did it. I manually typed in the same line and no more errors. Who da man? You da man! Heh-heh! I’m a little embarrassed I didn’t think of the solution myself since it bit me before one day months ago…only then it turned two dashes into a period and a dash. I should have learned. (I was copying and pasting from a BBEdit text file into Terminal…I’ll have to look over the prefs of BBEdit to see if some dash translations are in effect.) Thanks again!

Yeah, TEXTEDIT is really nasty since it uses non-standard characters for certain characters. Really causes issues with Terminal stuff.