Wordwrap in code editor

I’ve searched through the menus and preferences in the Xojo IDE but cannot seem to find a way to wordwrap anywhere.

Some of my code lines (especially SQL statements) are quite long.

There’s no automatic code wrap, but you can use the line continuation feature.

Var s as String = “hello “ + _ “World”

for sql I use something like

dim sqlCode as String = "select *"
sqlCode = sqlCode + " from mytable"
sqlCode = sqlCode + " where rowid=10"

it fits in the width of the window, and it’s easier to maintain if you need to change some fields in the query.
I also made some simple editor to manipulate sql queries, and then generate the corresponding xojo code

Or add a constant.

It’s worth noting that the line continuation method works for more than just strings.

Shame there’s no proper word-wrap though, no idea why they’ve omitted that from the editor, would make for much easier code reading.

Sorry Kem, you’ve lost me…

You can add a String constant to a window, class, or module, and you can type your sql in there with a simple editor.

Oh, ok. Still not an elegant solution, I just figured I was missing a tick box in the preferences somewhere to turn on word-wrap, can’t quite believe it’s missing.

[quote=471113:@Rod Pascoe]I’ve searched through the menus and preferences in the Xojo IDE but cannot seem to find a way to wordwrap anywhere.

Some of my code lines (especially SQL statements) are quite long.[/quote]

So are some of mine. I split them with the continuation character - underscore (_)

this is the way I prefer to handle it… much more readable in my opinion

SQL= _
"SELECT id_list "+_
"  FROM myTable "+_
" WHERE listname='xyz'"

[quote=471132:@Dave S]this is the way I prefer to handle it… much more readable in my opinion

SQL= _ "SELECT id_list "+_ " FROM myTable "+_ " WHERE listname='xyz'" [/quote]

i usually replace the ‘xyz’ with a placeholder instead and then use replace the placeholder with the value.

So do I , but I was just illustrating the format the I use, not the code logic itself…
as a matter of fact… none of my SQL usually even has hard code table names… Those are all constants, on the off chance I need/want to change them before the app is complete. Change once, affect many.