How do I drop a styled text (and keep it styled) on a TextArea ?

Hi,

I have a styled TextArea set to receive TextDrops,

I have a page with styled text in FireFox,

If I copy / Paste the styled text, I get it styled (in the target TextArea),

But, if I drag and drop it from Firefox onto my TextArea, I loose the styles.

So: how can I keep the styles when drag and drop styled text from Firefox ?

PS: I drop many other things (URL, Image, etc.) from FF to my StandAlone and doing to the application / Firefox and back many times is boring and vs my ideas on how a computer have to work ! ;-:slight_smile:

Ideas ?

I have a styled TextArea set to receive TextDrops,

Text is not the same as StyledText

P.S. This is a solution (not mine) from 2007 so might need some adapting:

in the open event of the Textarea I put the following:

me.accepttextdrop
me.AcceptRawDataDrop(“styl”)

In the dropobject event I put the following:

me.styledtext.RTFData = obj.RawData(“styl”)
me.text = obj.text

Assuming the Textarea is enabled when you drop the text, the dropped text is formatted.

P.P.S Just tried it: I have an EditField (not changing anything) and drop some styled text from Safari onto it.

Shows up fine (on my Mac).

Problem if non-ASCII characters are in there - formatting is moved. This is an old and immensely annoying bug in REALbasic / Xojo.

Drag/drop from FireFox: styles get lost.

This is also true when dragging&dropping into other apps (like Entourage or Word)

Hi Markus,

Test done with Xojo 2013r3.1.

Thank you for the tip.

Firefox:
Something is definitively wrong there. Without UseFocusRing enabled (in fact, it is enabled), I do not get styles at all, Copy / Paste retains some. I will try after enabling the focus ring:
BTW: UseFocusRing is enabled, but is not displayed (here).
Nahhh… I enabled AcceptsTabs (why can this be related ? It’s a simple test).

Firefox drops to TextEdit (from Apple): does not works. Even an image drop is rejected (it also holds the URL since the image is clickable).

Safari:
Same as Firefox drops.
Image drop into a ListBox gets the target URL as intended.
Image drop in a Canvas gets the image as intended.

Safari drops to TextEdit (from Apple): works fine; both styled text and dropped images.

[quote=41247:@Markus Winter]> I have a styled TextArea set to receive TextDrops,

Text is not the same as StyledText[/quote]

In my mind, this was ‘generic’. But you are right.

On the other hand, Me.AcceptPictureDrop is generic too (or I do not found an error): I can drop any kind of Picture (TIFF, JPAG, PNG… whatever).

BTW: Xojo is not working consistently (watch what you have to do to save data to disk).

Styledtext as implemented in Xojo and previously in realbasic is a small subset of the styled text implemented by other apps (such as ms word) and via html in browsers. I have only had success with styledtext as generated and then read back within xojo. And as Emilie pointed out above, one non-ascii character can throw the entire block off. I wrote a zap routine to remove those characters, and replace them with a space. That helps.