Xojo doesn't detect changes after pulled changes via Git

1. ‹ Older
  2. 6 weeks ago

Sascha S

Dec 20 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Germany, Lower Saxony

@Jose Q Particularly for me is very annoying to have to close the whole project every time that I want to pull changes from my Git repo.

But that's how it works with Xojo IDE.

3. Emile S

Dec 20 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

@Jose Q latest Xojo 2019 2.1

No you have not. Latest Xojo is 2019r3.

4. Javier M

Dec 20 Xojo Inc, Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers, Third Party Store AprendeXojo - Europe, Spain

Hi @Jose Q

Xojo doesn't includes a Git client in the IDE, so it is not aware about project file changes until you Close / Open again the project.

5. Scott C

Dec 20 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro twitter.com/ScottCadillac

@Emile S No you have not. Latest Xojo is 2019r3.

In this regard, 2019r3 appears to work the same as earlier versions.

I've been making more use of External Items in my projects. And although it is not documented as a feature, I find most times that if I collapse and expand again an External Item node in the Navigator, the Methods, Properties, etc. get refreshed. I'm just commenting here, not necessarily recommending it as a solution to your question.

@nicoláscanessa have you tried with File -> Revert to Saved? i have never used it, so please do backup of your project before

I do however use "Revert to Saved" regularly, when I know the project file(s) have changed (like after pulling from GitHub) - but I always make sure my current local changes have been saved and committed beforehand. "Revert to Saved" closes and reloads the project in one step. Not an ideal solution, but I'm used to it now.

6. Tim J

Dec 20 Pre-Release Testers N. Phoenix, AZ

Nicolás' comment is the best solution and what I use many times a day to "undo" experiments in my code.

@nicoláscanessa have you tried with File -> Revert to Saved?

7. Brandon W

Dec 20 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Texas, USA

Here is my workflow: 1. Save project locally if it needs it. 2. Pull changes from remote source. 3. IDE will have revert to save grayed out so I change something minor. 4. Revert to Saved

8. Graham B

Dec 20 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro The Canada's

I have been playing with external items and editing code in one ide, after saving it the changes in the code auto appear in the other ide.
    Works very well actually.

Don't think I did anything to tickle it.

9. Sascha S

Dec 20 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Germany, Lower Saxony
    Edited 6 weeks ago

I am sure that external items are checked for changes every time you select them.
    Since Xojo is not a real-time collaboration IDE, why should internal elements be checked for changes? The IDE is already slow enough for some of us... ;)

10. Tim J

Dec 20 Pre-Release Testers N. Phoenix, AZ

@Graham B Don't think I did anything to tickle it.

The IDE is able to talk to itself, so no "tickling" needed :). What it doesn't do is notice changes created by other tools such as manual edits in VSCode, GIT pulls, CVS checkouts, etc.

11. Norman P

Dec 20 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro outside

Usually I do

• save (unless this REALLY is an experiment I want to throw away then I will skip this)
    • update from Git/SVN etc
    • change something in the IDE
    • revert to saved and reply yes really revert
  12. Jürg O

Dec 20 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro
    Edited 6 weeks ago

@Norman P Usually I do

@Brandon W Here is my workflow

Why don't you file a Feedback Request to rename "Revert to saved" to "Reload Project" and have that available anytime (not just when the project is "dirty", e.g. after a simple/silly change). It would save you two steps (1. having to make a change, 2. having to confirm to loose that change).

13. Norman P

Dec 20 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro outside

@Jürg O Why don't you file a Feedback Request to rename "Revert to saved" to "Reload Project"

Have at it
    I just dont care about that because its so trivial to do

14. 3 weeks ago

Michael D

Jan 8 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

I wiss the IDE worked more like BBEdit, which appears to check all files on disk for changes when the app is Activated, and any changed content is updated (optionally with a per-window dialog).

15. Tim J

Jan 8 Pre-Release Testers N. Phoenix, AZ

Might it be time to raise this Feedback Feature Request from the grave - Feedback Case #19036?

16. Norman P

Jan 8 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro outside

If I have edits in some code in a running instance I sure dont want it to just load changes from GIT/SVN right over top of that
    ANd that means now you're going to have to shove a diff client of some kind into Xojo and ... blech

17. Tim J

Jan 8 Pre-Release Testers N. Phoenix, AZ

I'm more interested in being able to check in, compare, view logs, and check out code rather than automatically noticing a change on disk. I'm with you in that I wouldn't want my session to supersede my current edits because of a change made outside of the IDE.

18. Norman P

Jan 8 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro outside

Itsexactly why I do what I do and use SVN/Git and the tools they provde for managing this and then just have Xojo revert project which reloads it from disk when things are ready

I did submit a feature request to be able to right click on a single item and reload that one item from disk which would ease some of this
    Feedback Case #58746

19. Jürg O

Jan 8 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro
    Edited 3 weeks ago

@Norman P I did submit a feature request to be able to right click on a single item and reload that one item from disk which would ease some of this

I've requested that feature about two years ago...: Feedback Case #50426

With a .xojo_project, a possible workaround is:

• delete the project item
    • drag-and-drop the project item again from disk into the navigator

It's downside is that usually the project file gets modified because of that...

20. Norman P

Jan 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro outside

@Jürg O It's downside is that usually the project file gets modified because of that...

Of course
    It would move it order in the manifest since yu'd remove one line and replace it with a new one at a different location
    Basically think of it as

array.remove <index of existing item>
       array.append new item

a "reload" could avoid such a thing

21. 2 weeks ago

Dirk C

Jan 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Belgium, Zedelgem

We pointed out the dangers of this in 2013, but nothing happened with the ticket (it still says reviewed).
    Both me and Gino pointed out the risk over overwriting changes that you make to code.
    Since we work with external xml code we've been bitten by this multiple time.
    It's very annoying that is you forget to reload you end up overwriting the code you pulled in (or changed in another project that uses the same external).

Feedback Case #11725

or Sign Up to reply!