Apple will pull your apps if your membership expires

I’ve just discovered that Apple will pull all your apps from their stores if you don’t renew their developer programme.

Seems a bit short sighted.

That’s not new. Did it happen to you?

No, but I only discovered the situation today.

It is to be expected. The App Store store is not a non profit endeavor. You pay to participate.

For the longest time and still today, most big stores have had the same kind of policy. Say you want to have your software at some chain, you may need to actually purchase your footprint on their shelves for the season, as well as pay for advertisement in their biannual catalog.

Truth is, hard sales are coming mostly from the App Store. On iOS, there is not alternative.

For Mac or Windows, if you are ready to build up some momentum, start by having a clean and engaging web site, then make an evaluation version available on it, create some way for people to buy a download, and start advertising through appvisor.com who will make sure your evaluation program is available on all shareware repositories. Which shareware repositories, for the most part, function as non profit. In other words, they won’t pull your software.

But that is soft power. Good image, but less hard sales right away.

I could understand then not allowing new submissions of either fresh apps or updates but I think it’s a money grab otherwise.

They take a third of every sale.

[quote=467797:@Michel Bujardet]It is to be expected. The App Store store is not a non profit endeavor. You pay to participate.

For the longest time and still today, most big stores have had the same kind of policy. Say you want to have your software at some chain, you may need to actually purchase your footprint on their shelves for the season, as well as pay for advertisement in their biannual catalog.

Truth is, hard sales are coming mostly from the App Store. On iOS, there is not alternative.

For Mac or Windows, if you are ready to build up some momentum, start by having a clean and engaging web site, then make an evaluation version available on it, create some way for people to buy a download, and start advertising through appvisor.com who will make sure your evaluation program is available on all shareware repositories. Which shareware repositories, for the most part, function as non profit. In other words, they won’t pull your software.

But that is soft power. Good image, but less hard sales right away.[/quote]

Is that true fro free apps?

• karen

Yep. You still have to pay.

[quote=467804:@Karen Atkocius]Is that true fro free apps?

• karen[/quote]

[quote=467793:@Rod Pascoe]I’ve just discovered that Apple will pull all your apps from their stores if you don’t renew their developer programme.

Seems a bit short sighted.[/quote]

Seriously? It’s a condition you agree to when putting an app on the App Store. It’s been that way since the App Store launched in 2008. You get access to their store, codesigning certificates and more.

Yes, “seriously”. If you have a very low sales app that and you don’t want to renew I don’t get why they can’t just suspend new submissions as they still get paid a healthy 3rd on a sale.

Well I guess there are multiple reasons. One is that there has to be some sort of barrier to entry, right? $99 a year isn’t a lot these days, not when you’re given access to Apple’s market, on their millions of devices. Another is that the App Store is already chock full of lots of really poor apps - do we want to add abandoned apps in there? How do Apple know you’re actively maintaining your app, if you’re not part of their program?

Again, don’t forget that you get the certificates as part of this cost. The certificates required for signing on other platforms aren’t cheap.

Regardless, it’s their policy so if you want to play in Apple’s sandbox, you have to go by their rules. If it’s unpalatable for you, go for another platform.

[quote=467812:@Gavin Smith]Well I guess there are multiple reasons. One is that there has to be some sort of barrier to entry, right? $99 a year isn’t a lot these days, not when you’re given access to Apple’s market, on their millions of devices. Another is that the App Store is already chock full of lots of really poor apps - do we want to add abandoned apps in there? How do Apple know you’re actively maintaining your app, if you’re not part of their program?

Again, don’t forget that you get the certificates as part of this cost. The certificates required for signing on other platforms aren’t cheap.

Regardless, it’s their policy so if you want to play in Apple’s sandbox, you have to go by their rules. If it’s unpalatable for you, go for another platform.[/quote]

I just won’t be using the App Store route

I’d don’t code for IOS anyway so only use macOS

How do you think they became the most profitable tech company ever ?

By making products extinct after 5 years so consumers must buy new :stuck_out_tongue:

A couple of things here.

1. Agree with @Gavin Smith, it’s how it’s always been done, it’s part of the terms and conditions.
  2. The annual developer fee and 30% profit from the sale of App Store apps, go towards Apple’s “Services” revenue.
  3. Even if you distribute outside of the App Store, you are now required to renew annually to use Apple’s “Notarization” process. What we don’t know yet, is if your developer account expires, do your apps? I would learn towards the side of not testing this theory.

As for avoiding the App Store; my main two applications can’t be sold on the App Store, 1 is for technical reasons, the other is because I’ve been flagged as an App Spammer on the App Store, therefore I am not allowed to sell my latest Photo editor until I make significant changes (which I did, but found it to be a horrible experience, am working on an alternative solution).

The app that’s not allowed for tech reasons has been around for 8 years, most people who need it, already know about it and know where to find it.

The other app; that’s consumer focused, man it’s been really really hard to gain any traction. Most of the channels that we used to use to promote our apps are gone now, because of the App Store. We’re continuing to attempt to find methods, but ultimately I need to get on and provide a solution in my apps so that Apple will allow it on the store.

5 years, that’s rather generous. I’ve had an app killed within 18 months because of show stopping bugs introduced into newer versions of the macOS.

@Sam Rowlands: how can you be an app spammer? And how can a photo app be an app spammer?

It’s an app store rejection reason, “Design Spam” App Store Review Guidelines - Apple Developer

It’s meant for those obnoxious one-trick-pony companies pumping out things like “JPG to PNG” “JPG to GIF” etc. Apple wants these developers to make their app “JPG Converter” bundling in all the different formats. And, frankly, so do I.

It’s unfortunate that Sam has this trouble with Apple because we know he’s not a design spammer; but I can’t say I’d like to see Apple roll back on the design spam rule.

“There is already a ‘Photos’ app available on.”

which app are you refering to???

Indeed, but it is way more clever than what IBM did with the PC, who ended up selling their laptops division to Lenovo because they were never able to turn a profit.

The same thing happens on all platforms. Google Play Store, Huawei Gallery, Amazon App Store all take 30% share on Android apps. About Amazon, they take about the same kind of share between FBA fees and advertisement out of hardware as well.

As a comparison, most shops expect at least 40% share on software boxes distribution.

I’ve posted my story on App Spamming, I must add that it relates to this situation as in the guidelines it says repeat offenders may have their account disabled.
https://forum.xojo.com/57622-app-spamming-on-the-mac-app-store