Good DB addons?

Hi everyone. I might have asked this before, and if so, I apologize in advance. My memory sucks. :slight_smile:
Anyway, are there any good ad on’s for db work? Making it easier to connect to SQL server, other big db’s and
grab results and format for reports, etc? I realize it probably can be done with xojo out of the box, but if an
addon helps me save time for a client that I think is about to pull the trigger, then I"ll use it…
Thanks …
Tim

As usual check out the MBS plugin.

I’m using Navicat Premium (not free) to connect to many DBs (mySQL, SQL Server, Postgres, SQLite).
It’s a great tool to design, run/test queries, export in various formats including CSV and XLS.
But there’s no build-in reporting tools.
There’s a free trial, macOS and Windows.

And if you need Xojo integrated solution, MBS SQL does the job.

I use Valentina Studio

[quote=467542:@Olivier Colard]I’m using Navicat Premium (not free) to connect to many DBs (mySQL, SQL Server, Postgres, SQLite).
It’s a great tool to design, run/test queries, export in various formats including CSV and XLS.
But there’s no build-in reporting tools.
There’s a free trial, macOS and Windows.

And if you need Xojo integrated solution, MBS SQL does the job.[/quote]

Navicat does have built in report designer, and a deployable report viewer (sort of). I also see the latest version has a number of charting options as well. Cannot recommend Navicat enough but it is very expensive, although I see new version also offers a subscription model (about $65 a month I think, or non-commercial $29 a month).

If you need the add on route for XOJO then Valentina Reports is a good option with the ADK for deployment, or some of Bob Keeneys reporting tools are another great choice.

It just so happens we created a new bundle called Reporting for Xojo that includes:

• Valentina Studio Pro (select OS). All purpose database management tool, Report Designer, Form Designer, Diagramming, Visual SQL Editor, SQLDIFF (reg $199.99). Works with all major databases, including mySQL, MariaDB, SQL Server, Postgres and SQLite.
  • Valentina Reports ADK for Xojo (all, including macOS, Windows, Linux (both x86 and ARM7/Raspbian/Raspberry PI) for incorporating our reports engine into your Xojo app. (reg $299.99). Works with all major databases.
  • Valentina Server /25 (select OS). A copy of our Valentina Server product, that includes Valentina Reports Server, Valentina DB Server, Valentina SQLite Server (unlimited connections!) and Valentina Forms. (reg $499.99, included free in bundle). Reports Server works with all major databases.

You can get this bundle half off in December 2019 for only $300.

For reporting, you build your reports in Report Designer (included in VSP), then you can use them in a variety of ways:

• Including them with your Valentina Reports enabled application
  • Use them directly within Valentina Studio (even the FREE version with previewer)
  • Upload the project containing them to Valentina Server

[quote=467504:@Tim Lee]Hi everyone. I might have asked this before, and if so, I apologize in advance. My memory sucks. :slight_smile:
Anyway, are there any good ad on’s for db work? Making it easier to connect to SQL server, other big db’s and
grab results and format for reports, etc? I realize it probably can be done with xojo out of the box, but if an
addon helps me save time for a client that I think is about to pull the trigger, then I"ll use it…
Thanks …
Tim[/quote]
Making it easier to work with databases: ARGen - Active Record Generator for Xojo
ARGen will generate classes in Xojo that represent your database structure. You can then use the classes to interact with your database. Create, read, update, and destroy records with Xojo objects rather than SQL. If you use Xojo because you’re in the business of rapidly creating software, ActiveRecord makes database based applications super easy.

Reporting in Xojo: BKeeney Shorts
The Xojo Design Award winning reporting software replaces and out-performs the built in Xojo reporting tools. Favored by many Xojo users because it’s written in Xojo code - you can fix your own problems without waiting on anyone. Shorts also includes a visual report designer, as well as it’s source code. You can include the visual report designer in your own apps.

I can’t personally recommend anything to make working with SQL Sever any easier in Xojo. The SQL Server support in Xojo has it’s issues, and I would recommend switching to any other engine.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it.