Where is Classic Language Reference for Xojo Prior to 2019R2?

When I click on Classic Language Reference I am now seeing a bunch of code and examples rewritten for 2019r2.

Where exactly is the Language Reference for older version of Xojo being maintained?

Same here. Really annoying. The local help should be for the version you are running. Seems Xojo is trying to make it difficult to stay on older versions.

When I purchased the product I was told I could continue to use it to make applications.

Now I see what the company really meant is that you can continue to make applications as long as you can do itself without a reference guide that we may remove access to anytime.

I sure hope they don’t think this is going to force me to upgrade because they already demonstrated enough dishonesty to never purchase anything again.

Have you tried looking at the language reference included with your installation of Xojo? I have several versions installed and when I select it in 2019R1.1 I get the API 1 LR and get the updated LR when I select it in 2.1.

Under Options>General there’s an option “When seeking help:” “Use built-in documentation” this will show the docs that were shipped with the version of the IDE you’re currently using.

In October I could see this as being a problem so I put in a request for the online docs to have a timemachine feature installed so users could view the online docs at points in time just before releases but that hasn’t been done yet, <https://xojo.com/issue/57854>

There is a setting the Xojo preferences that allows you to use your local copy of the LR, for your specific version of Xojo.

Also, if you know the name of the property or method, e.g., Listbox.LastIndex, you can type that into the Search box of the https://documentation.xojo.com site, i.e., https://documentation.xojo.com/api/deprecated/listbox.html.LastIndex

I hope that helps.

Thanks for the replies!

The preference setting mentioned now shows the local LR.

There are problems with the local LR.

1. Search “Arrays”

2. Click on “Arrays” within the “Search Results” page.

3. Click on any of the “Related” links within Arrays.

4. A blank page is shown.

5. Clicking “Back” button takes you back to the “Search Results” and not “Arrays”.

What version are you using?
I’m using 2019r1.1, never installed a newer version in this computer and I can’t see “Related” links. All links I can click in Arrays show information and I can go back to Arrays.

[quote=467076:@Charles Greyson]
The preference setting mentioned now shows the local LR.
There are problems with the local LR.

1. Search “Arrays”
  2. Click on “Arrays” within the “Search Results” page.
  3. Click on any of the “Related” links within Arrays.
  4. A blank page is shown.
  5. Clicking “Back” button takes you back to the “Search Results” and not “Arrays”.[/quote]

the conversion of the wiki to the local wasnt perfect (still isnt quite there)
basically the local LR is the wiki* as it existed at the point in time whatever version youre using was created and converted into a local database
I wrote much of that code and there was always something special to add to handling that conversion

*unless you using a really old version where some of the source came from the wiki & some from help docs online

Search

Click Arrays

Click Any Related Link

Back button leads to search page (first image) and not arrays.

In order to see any of the related topics you must make a new search for those terms.

Charles, what version of xojo are you using there as it seems to be using the in built web browser and not the built in LR tool, maybe the version you’re using is so old that feature didn’t exist back then and it just browsed a local version of the docs in the LR web browser?

The built-in documentation looks like this:

using Xojo2019r1.1

[quote=467310:@Alberto DePoo]The built-in documentation looks like this:

using Xojo2019r1.1[/quote]

It only looks like that because you are using Xojo2019r1.1.

Most of the links on the left sidebar are to current web pages. The Classic Docs appear to be nothing more than copies of a online wiki that can include 3rd party content as submitted to the wiki.

The screenshots don’t show me what version you’re using :frowning:

I think your version is around Xojo2015.
Yes, classic language reference for that version has that problem.

Its a version of 2015.

The content is also malformed.

Gotta give some credit to Xojo, this bug was reported and fixed in sometime the last four years.

And I who felt guilty for using such an old version (2915r1)!

Almost five years since the release of 2015r1 !!!

So much progress, so many differences and … (rant removed).

But not fixed to me who paid to have a fully functional LR.

A working LR really meant buying Xojo once, waiting X number of years, then buying Xojo over all again to get just a working LR that was suppose to already be in the version I purchased.

A business model based upon fooling people once.