module in a module not supported?

1. ‹ Older
  2. 2 weeks ago

Lars L

Nov 28 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany, Chemnitz)
    Edited 2 weeks ago

@Emile S You know you can add a folder in the navigation pane and place Modules (and windows, etc.) in them ?

Sure, but what we always do is, we build easy to use namespaces like via.api.get(param). Folders don't give us this ability.

It helps to structure your code better. Especially if you have hundreds of functions like we usually have.

3. Emile S

Nov 28 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

Lars, you know I do not understand “why you want to do that” part ! ;)

I do not even know it is possible to ember modules in modules…

How many nested modules can you … embed ?

The idea is to group the modules by kind:
    one master module
    many Master.Childs // Sorted by affinity with short names

and each Master.Childs holds a bunch of GrandChilds.

But you may already done that.

4. Lars L

Nov 28 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany, Chemnitz)

I totally agree that there are other ways to structure your code.

In fact, nesting modules in one and another is possible and we've done this several times in the past.

The thing is, that now this behaviour occurs and I wanted to know why and if some else experience this as well.

:)

5. Emile S

Nov 28 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

USA’s east coast will awake soon and so an answer will certainly come too.

6. Rick A

Nov 28 Pre-Release Testers (Brazil. UTC-3:00)

Nested modules is a must for Xojo that already misses basic things like local functions and local classes (writing functions inside functions and nesting classes inside other classes).
    Q: We have folders, so why this is important?
    A: Modules have scopes and folders not. So you can hide large and complex private functionality from the outside world while allowing a parent public module expose the public "interfaces" to the public functionality. It's a kind of nesting folders but with scope hierarchy.

7. Thom M

Nov 28 Pre-Release Testers Greater Hartford Area, CT

It’s definitely supported. Something else is going on, I just can’t tell what.

8. Beatrix W

Nov 28 Pre-Release Testers, Third Party Store Europe (Germany)

Nested folders are only supported for text format. See Feedback Case #8265 .

9. Rick A

Nov 28 Pre-Release Testers (Brazil. UTC-3:00)
    Edited 2 weeks ago

I've noticed that the pointed clash was in Module.Name , another guy had a problem in code, also broken, due to his "Object.Name" that always worked before. Some Gremlin seems introduced in the naming of things. Here is the Gremlin: https://forum.xojo.com/57207-smtp-secure-socket-r2019-2-1

10. Greg O

Nov 28 Xojo Inc scout.galaxy.barn

@Lars L - Do you happen to have a folder at the same level as the Module with the exact same name?

11. Lars L

Nov 29 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany, Chemnitz)

@Greg OLone @Lars L - Do you happen to have a folder at the same level as the Module with the exact same name?

No, I don't. :/

What I made is, I completely recreated the module and compiled it after each step. Took me two hours of work, but now I have the module structure I wanted.

It seems that copying methods into nested modules are responsible for this bug.

12. Anthony C

Nov 29 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, Third Party Store GraffitiSuite Developer
    Edited 2 weeks ago

Make sure everything in API is Protected, not Global. That property should be Protected, IIRC.

Also, when copy/pasting methods in nested modules, sometimes they look Protected, but you need to update their scope anyway.

13. Lars L

@Anthony C Make sure everything in API is Protected, not Global

Yes, this is smthng we noticed already, but our methods are all protected.

14. Rick A

Nov 29 Pre-Release Testers (Brazil. UTC-3:00)

Solved or still broken?

15. Lars L

Edited 2 weeks ago

Was still broken. As I mentioned, this is something we already knew. And as you can see in Screenshot, all methods are yellow, which means they are protected.

Edit:
    the property in the screenshot was also protected. The color just applies if you change it again (which seems to be a bug as well).

16. Anthony C

Nov 29 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, Third Party Store GraffitiSuite Developer

And it still doesn't work after manually re-setting the property scope? I improperly said earlier that the Copy/Paste bug only effects methods, and was just testing and found that it applies to all. Once I reset scope manually, I was then able to run my test project.

17. Lars L

@Anthony C And it still doesn't work after manually re-setting the property scope?

Yes I am sure ;)

18. Greg O

Nov 29 Xojo Inc scout.galaxy.barn

@Lars L And as you can see in Screenshot, all methods are yellow, which means they are protected.

I would verify that. Copy & Paste will often just use whatever the original values are, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the Navigator is trying to be “smart” and only displaying what they should be.

19. Karen A

Nov 29 Pre-Release Testers
    Edited 2 weeks ago

I reported a similar issue a month ago... Dealing with it costed me a lot of time!

Feedback Case #57990

20. last week

Derk J

Dec 1 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Greg OLone I would verify that. Copy & Paste will often just use whatever the original values are, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the Navigator is trying to be “smart” and only displaying what they should be.

How could that be "smart". It would be smart if it "automates" fixes for you there so it just works.

21. Tim J

Dec 1 Pre-Release Testers N. Phoenix, AZ

@Derk J How could that be "smart". It would be smart if it "automates" fixes for you there so it just works.

Greg's quoted "Smart" there was cynicism in that he said it's "Trying" to be smart. It's obviously failing :D.

or Sign Up to reply!