Valentina vs Navicat

Can I ask which of these two people are using and if anyone had a preference for one over the other (and reasons for that if that’s not too much to ask!)

Thanks in advance.

Are you looking for any other suggestions for a database tool, or just thoughts on these two?

I thought I’d narrowed it down to the best two but I’d be stupid to ignore the advice of those more knowledgable than I.

I use Valentina, but only for reports, not database management. For that i like DBeaver the best.

For one IDE to manage multiple types of databases (and run on macOS or Windows), I highly recommend JetBrains DataGrip.

It’s not free, but hands down it’s worth the money (at a better price than most paid competitive products). DataGrip is overkill for something like SQLite, but it’ll do that too.

Edited: to say Jetbrains are the folks who invented Kotlin, the language and compiler that Xojo will be using for the new Android target.

I’m a big fan of Valentina. I purchase the Pro version for one of its features, and mostly to support a great company and its responsive developers. But the free version is quite capable and I recommend looking at it before deciding.

Valentina Studio isn’t bad. But it lacks the attention to detail to make it great. The interface is clumsy with tiny little icons. The translations are totally silly and look very unprofessional.

That was my experience too, I’ve put a bug report on Valentina’s system and it’s been fixed later the same day.

I am fan and user of Navicat. Once you have found your thing it’s hard to get enthousiast for something else, although you don 't know what quality might be on the other side.
I would suggest everybody to use what the feel good with.

I tried valentina and had problems with it, making it unusable for me, may be because I tend to use older macos (10.11)
I trien navicat, it’s very nice, but too expensive for me and my part time job.
so I used free ones, until I succeded in making my own unique db management app with xojo.
that way I can create direct code snippets from it, and paste them in my xojo apps.

Navicate is very expensive. There are a few things that set Valentina apart from most other tools.

Pros.

1. Can show related tables in same view. This allows selecting a row in the master table to see related rows from child table.
  2. Can drop sqlite files into the program to open them. (some others support this)
  3. Loads large tables very fast to make all records available at once. Most tools struggle with this, or use pagination.
  4. Separate lists for databsase>schema>table>… rather than showing everything in one long tree view.
  5. Free version has enough features for normal users.
  6. Auto commit table changes.

Cons

1. No dark mode.
  2. UI doesn’t deal properly with multiple monitors using different scaling.
  3. UI could use a bit of updating.

The charitable description.

[quote=465133:@Scott Cadillac]For one IDE to manage multiple types of databases (and run on macOS or Windows), I highly recommend JetBrains DataGrip.

It’s not free, but hands down it’s worth the money (at a better price than most paid competitive products). DataGrip is overkill for something like SQLite, but it’ll do that too.

Edited: to say Jetbrains are the folks who invented Kotlin, the language and compiler that Xojo will be using for the new Android target.[/quote]

This, if you are going to pay for it, then this is the one. I use it several hours a day and would not give it up for anything.

Valentina has been very responsive to my bug reports over the years, they’re usually fixed in the next (and frequent) point release. They are also active in the Xojo forums (whereas most vendors wouldn’t know a Xojo from a quid pro quo). I use it almost daily for MSSQL and MySQL, and it’s been reliable.

Sometimes you just haven’t found out about something cool yet!

For a mid-range database tool, I’m all about TablePlus (https://tableplus.io)
There’s Mac, Windows, and iOS versions, soon to be a Linux version.

? It connects to the database types I use in Xojo (SQLite, MySQL, Postgres, MS SQL) ? It's not super crazy expensive. ? It's native, and has a decent UI.

Ticketing system is through github, and my experiences with Huy have always been positive.

I’ve tried all db clients mentioned here and many more and am now also in the Table Plus camp.

Thank you app for your advice.
I’ll take some time this coming weekend to evaluate them all if I can.